Oh, I LOVE family outings. Jonny had the brilliant idea to load up the car with all of our bikes and head over to the historic Cowpens Battlefield. There is a lovely paved trail around the site where bikers of all skills and sizes can roam free. The boys read the signs, collected pamplets, and learned a little about the battle that turned the tides toward American freedom from the British crown.
Jared was especially thrilled with is freedom on the road. He was sweaty, his bottom was soaked (thanks to a forgetful momma who didn't give him a fresh diaper before letting him loose on his trike), and the size of his cranks and legs made it impossible for him to keep up with the "big boys," but he was never discouraged. He peddled that little bicycle as fast as it would carry him, always reminding me and his daddy to "take turns being behind me!" He liked it most when Jonny was his companion. I don't blame him. His dad's a pretty rad guy.Aaron tested his bicycle abilities. He pumped up the big hills without complaint, eager to impress Jonny with his strength and stamina. His bike bears number 24, the number from Jonny's last bike race. And Aaron acted as if he was in a race of his own. Jonny laughed and yelped as they rounded the corners and chuffed up the inclines together. When they finished the course, Aaron hopped off his bike and proudly had us test out the toughness of his mussles. "Wow. Feel my legs. I'm sore!" he said with a sense of accomplishment.
After the family ride we made an impromptu stop at Strawberry Hills' ice cream shop. Wow. Home made goodness. The boys loved it too, and especially loved sitting on the rocking chairs and making a mess of themselves.
Look at JJ. That face. I wish you could see the Superman ice cream slop from head to toe. And, of course, I didn't have a back up pair of shorts once we changed the soggy bike riding bottom. So, he rocked the diaper bottom like it was the new fashion. Oh how I love these kids.
1 comment:
So fun!
Post a Comment