"Happy Cinco de Mayo...for anyone who actually cares," said Brother Scott during testimony meeting today. I'm not sure if that comment should have struck me as humorous or not, but I was snickering in the pews.
Maybe it was the oddity of the comment, or the ignorance, or the irreverance, but I thought it funny. I know quite a few people who care about cinco de Mayo--and not all of them are from Mexico. In fact, this rowdie (that's the way we spell rowdie) bunch is from Spanish Fork, UT. And they all cared to celebrate the 35th birthday of the man of iron, Paul Frandsen.
Oh Paul! He is a loved brother, father, husband, son and friend. It was great face-timing with him and Amy about his recent Ironman triathalon, the kiddos, Beyonce, food, bodily functions, etc. We got passed around from family member to family member, and nearly felt like we were there as we sang "Happy Birthday," and listened to Paul announce his only birthday wish, "that I can blow all my candles out on my own." A worthy wish. I wish I had been there in person to watch it come true.
I'm sure the boys would have shared my sentiments, but they didn't get a chance to voice them. We put them to bed before placing the call. I guess if that's cruelty then I'm guilty as charged. Don't worry--they had their fair share of fiesta tonight. We ate a Cinco de Mayo dinner with five families from the ward. We each brought a few burrito topping and we each ate "Mexican food" to our hearts conent. We have made so many good friends here. It feels strange to be leaving so soon: a season of growth, of friendship, of peace, of joy--a blink--and it's a beautiful memory. I'm glad friendships live beyond old memories and photos. We are sad that it will never be the same, but we are also grateful that we will never be the same because of our season in South Carolina.

No comments:
Post a Comment