Monday, May 13, 2013

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo

Aaron awoke at 5:30am moaning, eyes spinning from side to side when I changed his position.  Another spell.  Another dizzy day.  His last round was only two weeks ago.  Why?  If only we knew.

Symptoms played out as they usually do: vertigo induced vomiting, inability to walk, or sit up, or even move.  His only solace is watching (sideways) every Thomas episode available on Netflix.  I make him vary his routine: take naps, do flash cards, read books, move from one side of his head to the other, etc. It's hard to know how much to do, and how much to let it be. 
I was so grateful that Jonny was home today.  We looked up a few new articles and found some promising leads about BPPV and the Epley manuver.  We even tried it on Aaron a few times, with little to no success...I think.  The medical theory has something to do with his LVA condition and dislodged stones that affect inner ear balance.  Blah blah blah.  It just felt good to have him there wondering with me, sharing my questions and my grief.  

Our poor Aaron.  I know this is part of his burden to bear in life.  I know that He is uniquely able to bare it.  He is so brave, and so resilient.  But if I could, I'd trade him in a heart beat.  We all would.
JJ kept our spirits high.  He is a special little boy, especially placed in our family to send in some sunshine when things look a little too shady.  It's neat how God does that.  I know He knows me.  I know He knows my boys.  And I feel His influence especially near on these dreaded dizzy days.

No comments: