Not long ago I was listening to a conversation on "the Mormon channel" with Susan Easton Black. What an inspiring woman--I wish I had a copy of her lectures to listen to. If anyone knows where I can get them--please let me know. I admire her personal strength in hardship; I love her thirst for knowledge; and I adore her personality. She has overcome great feats, and she gives a lot of credit to her bedtime stories: accounts of church history told by her grandmother.
I love fiction. I want my children to dive head-first into their imaginations--completely owning the constructions of the world they create. I also want my kids to learn the difference between fact and fiction. I hope they can develop the ability to discern between what is true and what is not. So, I started telling Aaron "true stories" at bedtime.
We still have the same "book, scriptures, prayer" routine, but if he behaves himself he gets to hear a true family story after we pray. I don't have a script--a lot of the time I'm just winging it...doing my best to retell important moments in our family's lives. But, watching his eyes engage with mine as I recount a family story is awesome. He truly connects with the stories, and it makes a lot of sense. The stories I tell him are about people he loves. Of course he would want to know more about them.
So far, I have recounted the tale of the young girl named Melinda who wanted to save her very first, very special kiss for a very special boy. Aaron chimed right in at the appropriate moment to guess that the very special boy was, indeed, "Jonny!" Tonight I retold my mother's conversion story--an miraculous story she retold to me time and time again as a growing girl. It was very exciting to tell it to Aaron. "And when Nana got lost in the middle of night in a deep, dark lake, what do you think she did?" I asked Aaron. He didn't know the answer. "She decided to pray, really pray, for the very first time." As I told this story, my heart swelled with a familiar, warm excitement. Aaron looked at me with bright, intense eyes, and I think that he felt something special too.
It is special. I am privileged to have been born into the family I have, and to have married into such a good family. I hope my life can reciprocate all of the good I have been given. And, I want my kids to know they are an important part of a family full of good people who love them dearly. I think this little tradition is a step in the right direction. I can't wait for tomorrow night to share more true family stories.

No comments:
Post a Comment