Sunday, January 29, 2012

Primary

We love primary.  Aaron recited his scriptures successfully today (without swapping the great Mediator for the devastator) on his second try at the microphone.  He was nervous, but he did it, and a lot of primary kids actually applauded.  I was his wing-woman, there to back him up.  But he had it covered.  And, I love that proud smile he wears when he knows he has done something grand.

On the way home from family's home he started singing to himself, "sanctify this water...sanctify the blood."  I don't think this is a primary song--at least it's not one that I have heard yet.  It is an Aaron original, patterned after the sacrament scripture.  We have been talking about it more lately--hoping to make a more meaningful sacrament experience for both of us.  We decided to squeeze each other's hands when we hear the promises int he scripture.  Aaron calls it our "squeeze hand promise," and I love it.  Even if he continues to race his car down the bench between the prayers, at least he's listening to the prayer.

As Aaron has entered primary, I've had a few great re-realizations: my boy is growing up; singing time is gospel doctrine class for kiddos; good friends have a great influence on one's sense of self-motivation; and it is up to Jonny and me to build a foundation for everything our kids encounter outside of the home.  (Heaven help us...it always does).  

No comments: