Saturday, May 03, 2014

Early Mother's Day Gift

I have a little problem: I love thrift shopping.  The normal, everyday kind of shopping where you go into consumer mode and pay full price for items is something I dread.  It just feels wrong. But getting something amazing--something that you can't even really find in a store--is thrilling.  Who cares what that something is.

So, when a few friends from my neighborhood invited me to go garage sale hopping with them I simply could not resist.  Even though I had to cut my triathlon training an hour short to make it work. I did it, gladly.  And look what I found:

This may not seem very exciting to others.  But to me and my boys, this was the best piece of relief sculpted vintage wall art ever created.  When Aaron saw the picture of it on my phone (I couldn't wait to get home from his soccer game to show him) his eyes popped right out of his head.  I felt like wondermom at that very moment.  And this is my new cape:

Amazing, I know.  Especially the glistening sweat+biker short combination under the coat. But I can't take credit: Jonny was responsible for this find.  Hannah called me up while I was riding my trainer, asking if I would like to go to an estate sale to scavenge up some free furniture (it was an "everything free and all must go by 1:00 event"), but as I was confined to the bike for another hour, I couldn't go.  But have no fear; it was Jonny, JJ and Davey to the rescue!  He found a few items and he brought this lovely fur coat home proclaiming, "Happy Mother's Day!"  What a thoughtful, thrifty man I married.  

No comments: