Tuesday, March 16, 2010


Tucson, AZ
One week ago (though it already feels like a world away) Jonny and I had a brief respite from reality in Tucson, Arizona. Jonathan was invited to present the research project he has been working on since last summer and I was happy to tag along for the ride. Thank you to both our parents who tag-teamed as Aaron's babysitters. We really appreciate you!
Before we left we explained to Aaron that we were leaving on a plane to Arizona and that he would be staying with Grand-patty, then Nana for a couple of days. He was a bit more clingy than usual at their homes that Sunday, but (from what I hear) he was good company, frequently searching the sky and pointing out the airplanes that were headed to Arizona.
Jonny and I had a good laugh at the airport when our boarding passes were printed out. I glanced at mine and said aloud, "TuC(K)son? Jonny my ticket is wrong, I'm not going to TuC(K)son!" He looked at me with a little, confused smile for a few seconds, then started laughing. I immediately recognized my error and was completely embarrassed, wondering how loud I said that and how long the airline workers would be laughing about the stupid blonde who didn't know how Tucson was pronounced. :) Apparently the Native Americans originally called the area "Chuckson," so I was actually closer to the correct pronunciation. We laughed and called it Tuckson for the reminder of the trip.
The ecology was beautiful and quite alien-like. One of the highlights of our time together was a hike through the saguaro forest. A saguaro cactus can grow three inches per year. Many of them were too large to fit inside my camera lens.
All of these prickly plants are amazing, and very resourceful. We had to watch our footing very carefully. One misstep and you can stumble into a bed of pin cushions. It was great to have a few hours to just talk with Jonny. We reminisce a little bit, dreamed about the future, planned and plotted our future careers and hobbies. I sure love my husband.
We also had a great time taking advantage of the Marriott Resort's restaurants and amenities. We've never stayed at a JW Marriot before and we felt pretty lucky to have been invited on the conference's tab. We made the most of it. I even ate a fresh jalapeno pepper (note the tear in my eye). I'm such a wimp, but sometimes I try to live life on the edge. My dad would have been proud.
Jonny wasn't up for the jalapeno taste test. He was probably protecting his presentation tongue, and for good reason. I would have been scared out of my mind to present my research to an audience of seasoned Ophthalmologists. But he approached it all pretty calmly. Then again, we did practice his presentation about 40 times, if you include the run-throughs in the hot tub. We probably looked pretty silly, a young couple lounging alone in the hot tub at night, contemplating blepharospasm and migraine patients with photophobia. It was quite romantic.
He did a great job. He was number 8 out of 10 presenters and the only med student, but he was cool as a cat until he took to the podium and stumbled across a few words before admitting to the audience, "I'm sorry, I'm a little nervous." A relaxing laugh swelled and the rest of his presentation went off without a hitch. He was very professional when answering the questions, even when a notorious doc challenged the premises of his conclusions. We were grateful that Dr. Digre stepped in to cite a few other similar studies that reinforced the conclusions.
We had a great time. I loved watching Jonny in his element, explaining all the angles of his research. He thought he had shot his chances of receiving an award when he was asked to present his partner's poster and was a bit sketchy on some of the details. But, he brought home the bread. Way to go, honey.
Maybe I dote a little too freely on this blog about my happy/proud motherly and wifely moments. I guess that's just what I want to remember most. After all, the other 95% of medical school isn't all that glamorous, or eventful. After a long day without him, I often struggle not to beg Jonny to skip his after-dinner study sessions, and I know that he's struggling to put off the same temptation. We both know what we've got to get through in order to reach the light at the end of the tunnel. But we might as well enjoy the tunnel while we're here. It's not that bad, after all (especially after a few days in Tuckson).

8 comments:

Scottie and Tasha said...

Hey you were down in our neck of the woods (or should I say desert?) Hope you enjoyed our lovely weather!

Amy F said...

Great job, Jonny. And an award for supporting role goes to you, Mel. The two of you are doing medical school and family living so admirably.

And I'm always happy to read your doting, because I wholeheartedly agree!!

Glad your trip was fun/relaxing. Hope you made good plans for the future while you were talking! Did you make sure to plan in some girls trips?? :)

Jill T said...

Sounds like a great getaway. And dote away. I like reading about it all. :)

TiffT said...

Mel! I always love reading what little adventures you have. I'm glad you and Jonny got to get away for a while. It's always so nice to get away from real life even if it's just for a little bit.

So seeing the picture of Jonny standing by his poster and teaching others reminded me of the 9th grade science fair project. I doubt Jonny would even remember this, but it made me laugh. Amy Griffiths and I did our science fair project on the dangers of tanning and we had pretty much threw it together last minute. Jonny of course had some grand poster and exciting topic (I don't even remember what it was but I'm sure it was good) but somehow Amy and I ended up taking first place!! I don't know how happy he was about that. Lol! I wonder if he even remembers.

Anyway, I love you both! And am so glad you got to get away!

Old Main Photography said...

Mel, you two blow my mind. You're that cool. Seriously, giving research presentations to a room full of seasoned doctors? Seriously. You guys rock.

libby said...

Jonny is truly amazing. I'm so proud of you, brother. :)

FPrince said...

You two are in the middle of a big huge challenge, and of course you know it will all be worth it, in the end. And of course you know that if it were easy, everyone would go to med school.

But that doesn't mean we don't get tempted to skimp on the hard work. I am very proud of both of you. Ferrin and I are both so glad to be out of school, and are happy to reap the benefits now.

Dad (TMF) said...

Mel: You didn't brag enough. What Jonathan did was wonderful. And, to win the poster contest in addition.