Go to Bed.
I'm having a hard time thinking of one word to explain my emotions right now. Tired, confused, frustrated (very frustrated) and amused all fit the bill. For a while now we've been trying to transition Aaron into a big boy bed. We did this for many reasons: he has a tent/cage over his crib because he learned how to climb out when he was 19 months old; my sweet grandma gave us a twin bed; and I don't want to have to imprison my child every time I put him down for the night. The problem is that he is a very social being and would rather stay up all night than go to bed--can't you see it in his eyes as he cheers for the BYU bball team? He's a party animal.
I'd rather he learn a little discipline and enjoy the beauty of a good night's rest (I'm not idealistic at all :). It's not going so well. Last night was particularly bad. He fell asleep on the way home from Spanish Fork and as I transitioned my sleeping child from his crib to his bed I remember thinking, "I'm so glad I don't have to play the 'stay in your bed' game tonight." That's all that our nights have been lately. He loves to test me--see how far out of his room he can get before I put him back into his bed, laughing the whole time I chase him back to his room. Or, when I try the "super nanny" angle and sit next to his bed in the rocking chair, he tries to get as close to the floor as possible. I tell him that if he gets down I'll put him in his crib (that is still up because most nights after an hour and a half without Aaron even yawning, I give up and put him in is crib). Maybe that's one of my problems-I'm sure there are many. But I can't think of what else to do. I'm at the end of my rope. Last night little Aaron sauntered into our room at 1:00am, so I escorted him back to his bed and lied next to him. After an hour of him finding every which way to use me as a pillow, I gave up and tossed him in his crib. Then he screamed "open it, open it, open it" for fifteen minutes until I caved and let him out of his cage, into his twin bed. I curled up on the floor so I wouldn't be a distraction from him falling asleep, but still able to reinforce my "stay in your bed" mantra. And, the last thing I remember thinking is that he was quiet, and my idea of sleeping uncomfortably on the floor had worked. I was wrong.
I woke up a couple hours later with an achy body from the hard floor. I stood up and stumbled out of his room toward mine and checked the clock: 4:30. "The things I do to try to get my child to sleep well," I thought. Then I heard movement in the living room. I peeked around the corner and saw Aaron with all of his cars out, playing happily. I nearly broke down in tears, "Has he been up for two hours, playing without his cochlears on?" I shook my finger at him angrily and he gave me a sheepish grin and said, "Doc Hudson," as he showed me one of his favorite cars. I put my fingers on his hears and said, "You need your cochlears on." To his credit, at some point in his late night hay-day he had successfully removed his cochlear batteries from their charger and tried unsuccessfully to put them in his implants. That did soften my heart a little. Once I got his ears on him I was calm enough not to yell, and I told him that it was NOT time to play, it was time to sleep. I asked him if he understood and he looked at me, turned his Lightning McQueen car over and said, "Car sleeping." Yes, Aaron, your car is sleeping. Let's put them all to bed and then go to bed. So, we turned all of the cars over and went to bed--with his cochlears on--so that I could tell him to stay in bed every time he tried to get by me. By the time Aaron got to sleep, Jonny was leaving for school.
Things I need to do today: install another, higher lock on my front door, read through my sleeping books again, and decide how to better manage this miniature crisis. Be harsh critics, tell me what to do differently! Any ideas, suggestions, and similar stories would be greatly appreciated. Good night.
11 comments:
Wow, what a little stinker!
I remember when my twins were that age... I took everything out of their room except the bed, pillows, and blankets. Then I put an eye hook up at the top of the door, and locked them in. Nothing to play with, no where to sleep except on the bed or on the floor. There were lots of times when I found them sleeping on the floor, but eventually they started sleeping in their bed.
Good luck, I hope you find a solution. My boys are 8, 8, and 6, and still the sleeping issues give me a lot of stress. I about go off my rocker when it is 10:30, they've been upstairs for 2 hours, and I am still hearing footsteps pattering about.
Mel,
Since Lillie was born, she gave us the worst time every night! She was nothing less than a beast at bed time. When we tried to put her in her own room at 8 months, it was cry cry cry until she throws up. We clean it up, then sit in there with her til she falls asleep eventually she cried less and less and it became easy and natural. Then, transition to toddler bed, we turned the handle around on the door and locked her in. Many many nights of her screaming and falling asleep by the door in her tears and snot. We would put her in her bed after a couple hours of sleeping on the floor and sometimes she woke back up, sometimes not. Eventually she learned to stay in her bed. Now, we have a routine and once we leave (we still have to lock the door though) she will sometimes cry but always end up back in her bed, sleeping through the night. Give it time and some heartache, but it will happen. (Sometimes i wished i could take my ears out like little aaron)Good luck! You just have to go for it.
Mel,
We had the same nightmarish problem with Brady. We switched him to a big boy bed when he was about 22 months old (for MANY reason's out of our control, kinda like yours)and it was one of the hardest things we have gone through with that little bugger. It would be the same fight that you described with Aaron and also hours into it and we would get no where.
Here I am though, NO professional mind you (I still have to lay with Brady at night and he will be 4 next month! But it only takes 5-10 minutes and he's asleep. I am COMPLETELY fine with that after all we've been through!), but maybe I can suggest some things that might help.
Let him pick out some bedding for his big boy bed like sheets or just a pillow/pillowcase, warm beanbag etc.(that way he is super excited to sleep in it) and ALWAYS talk it up. Read to him in bed so that he feels relaxed and it also shows him a way to wind down/comfort himself. You could also put glow in the dark stars on the ceiling that way you'll have to "keep the lights off to see outerspace".
And I give my kids a sippy cup of WATER to sleep by so that they can't use the "I'm thirsty" excuse and wake me up all hours of the night.
Patience is so important. I often think of my mom and say to myself "How the HELL did you do this with 4 of us under the age of 6???".
I hope that I helped a little. It breaks my heart to hear my kids cry so Brett would often have to hold me back. I had someone tell me that they locked their child in their room but I in now way could do that. It didn't feel right to me. With my second child, we swore to ourselves that we would teach him how to sleep right and we just put him in his crib and he falls asleep without us. But I DREAD the day we switch into a big bed.
Does Aaron still take a nap during the day? I would probably cut that out so that he is ready to go to bed at 8:00. Let him play in the tub after dinner for as long as he likes too (making sure the water is nice and roasty) to wear him out.
And most importantly (which I am sure you already do) is talking to him about what is going to happen when he goes to bed. "We are going to lay in our big boy bed, get snuggly, read some books, turn off the lights, and close our eyes so that our bodies can rest and grow. We want to be big and strong..." etc.
Mel, it sucks! But it will work out. Hang in there! Be CONSISTENT! :)
Mel,
I just wanted to add my two cents along with what Mike said. Routine, routine, routine!!! consistency, consistency, consistency!!! I fell this (with locking her in her room) has made all the difference for our Lillie. We start her routine about 30-45 minutes before bedtime. We do ALL the same things, in the same order in preparation for bed. After about 2 weeks (make sure these weeks are not disrupted by other late night outings, or you have to start over) she knew them by heart and she KNEW what time it was when we put her to bed. Sippy cup of milk while sitting with mom on the couch, teeth brushed, put on pjs, scripture prayer, read a little story, say good night with hugs and kisses, turn of the light so she can look at her glow in the dark stars and say WOW.
Also pray for patience for yourself as your child goes through this PHASE of, yet again, many sleepless nights. I know I needed it more with a toddler then I did/do a new born.
I hope this helps. Good Luck.
no advice here, but i can only imagine your frustration! good luck with the transition.
when you got to the part about waking up and hearing quiet, i knew he was out in the living room playing! what a smart little stinker, and that he attempted to put on his cochlears too!
good luck mel. you'll get through it. or he'll eventually learn!
We just barley got Julia back to sleeping a full night now that she is in a big bed. I felt like I had a newborn all over again because she was up every couple hours! I don't know that we did anything specific that we weren't doing before we transitioned her into a big bed. We kept the exact same routine and was consistent. We did get special sheets, a new night light, new books to read in bed, etc.
When she would wake up in the night I would lay with her for about 5 minutes. She slowly started waking up less and less and then finally made it the entire night. She has mostly said goodbye to naps though but I still make her have quite time on her bed with a stack of books.
I am sure you are doing all the right things it just takes a little time to transition. Good thing kids are cute huh? Yours is especially cute too!
Oh, Mel. This rite of passage for a young mom is a particularly trying one. Aaron is so very determined and smart... it has just transferred to his desire to PLAY and PaRtY instead of going to bed!!
You know, first hand, about all the wails and woes of our night time experiences... especially with twins. As a blast from the past that might ease the pain a little, and hopefully make you giggle... re-read this post...
http://paulamy.blogspot.com/2008/06/sleeping-habits.html
You are such an amazing mom, and you are TRYing. That is what matters most. We just have to grin and bear it sometimes. You are so good-natured about it all... he is blessed to have such a patient, understanding mom. Hang in there, Mel! When he's a teenager, you won't have any trouble with him sleeping in his bed!!
Oh wow! What a little rascal!
So maybe it was a good thing that we were too cheap to buy a crib when we moved here...Vi has been in a toddler bed since 11 months old! It was hard to keep her in the bed sometimes, but we tell her if she gets out then we'll shut her door. She HATES that.
Is the room not very dark? How can he see to play with his toys? Maybe you need some blackout curtains!
Anyway, Sounds like you've been given lots of good tips...good luck!
Why do you think we had a lock on the outside of Jonathan's door when he was little!
I don't have any advice because we still have Parker in a crib. He started climbing out a week or so before Samuel was born. It was rough. We role played over and over--he'd come out and we'd lay him back down. I think that I told him he had to say "mama" when he woke up. I got a basketball hoop off of craigslist and the first night he stayed in his crib all night, I told him the crib fairy brought it to him for being so good. (and that if he didn't stay in his crib until I came to get him, she would take it back). So I guess we're all about the bribery here. But it's worked for almost 7 months. Keep us posted so we'll know what to do when we make the big switch!
No advice, but I can commiserate a little. Lately, Mack has reverted to waking up in the middle of the night... AGAIN. I've tried letting him cry, but eventually he just stops crying, and starts talking to his stuffed animals in his room. The other night, I heard him wake up at 2am. I left him in there for an hour, finally went in, and tried singing, rocking, sleeping next to him in his crib, standing outside his crib with my hand on his chest, giving him a sippy cup of milk, sitting with him in his rocking chair, reading to him, etc, etc, etc. He finally went back to bed at 8:00 am. You read that right, EIGHT O'CLOCK AM. Needless to say, the next day was fraught with tantrums, crying, a sad baby, and frustrated mommy.
So, I guess I'm not qualified to give advice. But, I'm always good for a little empathy. :) I do know that you can do it though! You are one of the most amazing mothers I know!! I have total faith in you!
Post a Comment