3.31.2009
I want you to hear the cooing of pigeons, rather than just the squawking of the seagulls at the park. You were so excited when we fed the birds the other day. They begged for your bread with a symphony of "coos" and "caws." You heard some of it and let us know by touching your ear again and again as you made your open-mouth, awe-struck face. You stood still for the longest time pointing at them with your right hand, then your left, then to your hear, then to me. I can't wait to take you there again with your implants on--what will you do then with so many new sounds craving your attention?
Dear Aaron,
Tonight you took your hearing aids off for the last time...or at least the last time they will be on when you take them off. I'm planning on letting you wear them after you recovery so we don't get too accustomed to life without ear attachments. Besides, you really like your hearing aids. You point to them all day long whenever you hear surprising sounds like the microwave, the doorbell, dogs barking, seagulls squawking, and (your favorite) when I let you honk the horn in the car. You also love taking them out to get my attention--it's a fool proof way to make mom come running, so why would I take that tool away from you? Besides, the cochlear implant will be a little more cumbersome to wear and I don't want us to forget how we use our aids throughout the day (for better or worse).
I wish this could be a vacation from hearing aids, but that would also mean it's a vacation from sound...and you love sound. It crushes me that we have to take you away from the banging of pots and pans, revving the engine of your toy 4-wheeler, our "Aaron I love you" goodnight song, etc. Yes, we have your signs, and I'm lucky you're so darn smart. You'll still be able to tell me what you see, what you want, and how you're feeling. But sound is so much more than communication. I don't even want you to touch the piano until you're "activated." I don't want it to let you down. I'm just hanging onto April 23--stretching for the day when we get to wake up your ears. It will be hard, but one of the best days of my life (and hopefully yours).
Tonight you took your hearing aids off for the last time...or at least the last time they will be on when you take them off. I'm planning on letting you wear them after you recovery so we don't get too accustomed to life without ear attachments. Besides, you really like your hearing aids. You point to them all day long whenever you hear surprising sounds like the microwave, the doorbell, dogs barking, seagulls squawking, and (your favorite) when I let you honk the horn in the car. You also love taking them out to get my attention--it's a fool proof way to make mom come running, so why would I take that tool away from you? Besides, the cochlear implant will be a little more cumbersome to wear and I don't want us to forget how we use our aids throughout the day (for better or worse).
It's 12:01 am and I just finished feeding you the last "food" you can have before surgery today. You still love your bottle and love stroking my hair as you sip. We'll be admitted at 9:45am, get checked out by a few doctors, change out of your surgery pajamas into your surgery gown, and hopefully avoid all emotional breakdowns. I'll be strong, I promise. You panic when I do, so I can't let on that there's anything to be nervous about. With all of the anxiety that has built up inside me for the past year, I expected to be a mess right now. My emotions have been rather messy for the past few months. I wish I could take it from you, that I could do this for you. But the truth is, this isn't about me. It's about God's plan for you to become the strong person He needs you to be. And, I know you are helping me become the person He needs me to be.
I didn't anticipate the welcome calm I feel right now. I know that the next few weeks won't be a walk in the park, but whatever comes I know that God walking with us. We love you.
Love, Mom and Dad
15 comments:
Mel. Today is a good day. !!!
I love you. Aaron is beyond a doll. SOOOO beautiful. He will do so well with CIs! With you and Jonny for his Ma & Pa he'll be a state sterling scholar in MUSIC... just watch. :D
Our prayers are with you today and for the next few weeks.
Amazingly written Melinda.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Thank you for sharing this amazing journey with us. Your strength and example as parents touches my heart and brings a tear to my eye. Aaron couldn't have asked for a better Mom and Dad to guide him through his life. You are amazing...We love you!
What a great letter! We wish you the best of luck and hope for the best with little Aaron.
What a beautiful post. We love all three of you. Nice pictures. Love, uncle Ron
Mel, your strength is inspiring. YOu will all be in our prayers! Little Aaron is so strong, i know he'll do great!
mel and jonny.
we are praying for you three too. mel, i thought your words were very special. aaron is really lucky to have you as his mother and jonny as his dad.
we hope all is well and normalizing soon.
What a sweet, tear-jerking post! You're all in our prayers!
This is so beautiful Melinda, and so tear-jerking! You guys are amazing parents and so strong. Aaron is lucky to have you! You have been and will remain in our prayers.
Well, we all just cried through this post. What a beautiful experience this ends up being when you face it with such faith, purpose, and poise. I love your little family and all that you are allowing us to experience with you... all that you are teaching us in the meantime.
Cute Aaron. I hope you capture his first moments of CI sound as beautifully.
Oh my...this post tugged at my heart-strings...tears filled my eyes. I think of how much I have overlooked my whole life the value of being able to hear. I am not sure how different life would be. Not to be able to hear the rustle of leaves as the wind blows through them, leaves a feeling of loss. I am so glad that you posted this. Thank you
It was good to see him this weekend. He is doing so well. Thanks for coming down for Priesthood Session. It is my favorite time of the year to sit by my sons in that meeting. In six months, Lafe will be with us.
Melinda, your written thoughts and feelings pulled at my heartstrings...very tender, very emotional. You and Jonny are incredible parents and Aaron is so blessed! I know he blesses your lives too. We pray for you.
Aunt Shauna
You are such an amazing person Melinda, everytime I read your blog I get goosebumps you have a way with words that is for sure!! Your son is so precious and I wish him the best!
Post a Comment