Sunday, August 24, 2008

Becoming Medically Educated

I remember a drive that Jonny and I took when we were in High School. It was before the first kiss and even before the first hand hold. He was giving me a ride home from "Disney a la Carte" practice and we weren't in any hurry to get home. We meandered through the Benjamin back roads, talking about anything that would fill the fidgety space between us. The topic of conversation bounced from friends to family to the future. I told him that I wanted to be a teacher, but mostly a mother. He told me that he wanted to be a doctor. When I asked him why he said he wanted to help people, especially those in less fortunate circumstances who don't have access to appropriate medical treatment.

I remember that conversation because I think that's when I started falling in love with Jonathan (although I never would have admitted it). He walked me to my front door, gave me a hug and I went inside with my teeth chattering. I was a little cold, but mostly nervous and thrilled to have been alone with such an amazing and conveniently good looking person.

Jonny and I have repeated that conversation many times in the past eight years, and this week, it happened. We started medical school. Well, if you want to be technical, Jonny started medical school, but it is a team effort. I even volunteered to write his "busy work" essays for him (he turned my offer down). The weight of his embriology, histology and anatomy classes is slowly bearing down on him, but he is excited to be in the grind nonetheless. He is going to do great. My favorite Jonny quote of the week is, "I'm excited to become medically educated."

In the next four years I'm excited for my education to expand as well. I will be learning a lot more about medicine as well as mothering, budgeting, bedtime-ing, friendshipping, writing, wifeing, sewing, speaking, planning, playing, communicating and hopefully cooking. Somehow today I managed to make yogurt pancakes taste like soap (I'm blaming it on the dishwasher). This is a time in my life I have always looked forward to. I still want to teach college writing and US Government in High School, or practice municiple law, or coordinate international projects for LDS Humanitarian Services, or draw people's dream homes, but right now I am doing what I have always wanted to do most and nothing else would make me feel more complete.

Let me leave you with a few images and quotes from Jonny's white coat ceremony. I didn't even know there was such a thing until a couple weeks ago. It's when the first year med students are officially "coated," "stethascoped," and inducted into medical school. Some of it was a bit "hoity toity" as Jonny would say, but I mostly enjoyed the tradition. The keynote speaker's address was my favorite. His address focused on a C.S. Lewis quote concerning "wooden priests officiating at golden altars." He stressed that medical students must learn to be caregivers first, instead of deliverers of medical technology.

Here are a few great quotes and pictures of various parts of the ceremony for your enjoyment:

"Modern medicine has evolved into a high tech, low touch profession."
"Anesthesiology is a very strange career where some people get up early in the morning to put other people to sleep."
"There is no greater call in life than to do for others what they cannot do for themselves."


"The deepest principle in human nature is the craving to be appreciated."
"Never let anyone tell you that medicine has not made great strides...medical progress has been relentless in the past 50 years, but with all we have gained have we missed something as well? Doctors are trained to treat and diagnose, while patients are wanting to be listened to, sympathised with and cared for. We have become diminished as caregivers--lost our soul, we become wooden, a reverse Pinnochio effect. "

13 comments:

Stephen said...

first first first first

Nick and Amera said...

Mel, that post was amazing. You guys are making such amazing strides right now, We only wish you the best of luck through everything. Things will be so great for you guys, you only deserve the best. I love the parts about your roll that you will play as a mother. What a great wife and mom and support you are to your family. Dont worry about mising club last month, it was hardly organizeed because im such a doo-daa! Anyway, awesome post, you guys will be so great and successful as a family and as students!

Tish said...

ah, disney a la carte, good times. congrats you guys, good luck with medical school.

Amy F said...

I loved your thoughts on this beginning your family is making together. Paul and I have always said... "We're in medical school," "We're pregnant," etc. These journeys are meant to be made together, and we are so happy that Jonny has you by his side.

Your phone calls are bringing back so many memories for us. Good times... you will treasure this time, thanks to your good attitude and dedication to the things that really matter. !

And I don't doubt the soapy yogurt pancakes were totally the dishwasher's fault. I'm just glad you have a dishwasher!!

Old Main Photography said...

Mel, you are so cute. I'm so proud that you're my sister, (and we're so proud of Jonny too:) You make me smile. Thanks for pointing out that "this is what I've looked forwawrd to all my life" in terms of being a mom and all that comes with it. That phrase made me say, "Oh yeah..." Good work. And as far as my blog goes, isn't it sad that everytime I sit down to post I instead change the background in dissatisfaction, always striving to please myself. Sigh. But thanks for humoring me by checking it. :) I sure love you guys!

ron said...

this is why you two are such good people. great post. love uncle ron

Semi Granola Mom said...

Congrats on the "coating."

Jill T said...

Congrats you two on the next chapter in life. Very exciting! And I love the picture of the 3 of you when Aaron was born on the sidebar.

Jeff. Nikki. Keizya. Reila. said...

Happy Birthday Melinda! It was so good to see you at there...don't we always run into each other there? Bizaare. Anyway, I love reading your blog, and I love that you post signs because I'm trying to teach Keizya, just a little though, not too much. So she can communicate better when her motor skills improve. Do you know the sign for "all done" or "finished"? That's the one I keep wanting to do for her. Tell Johny congrats on getting his spiffy white coat...I can see you guys doing the most amazing things ever! Do you remember when we were in Gymnastics together? I remember that I loved your gym suit because the shorts were attached. You had to tuck your long blonde hair in the shoulder strap when we did back extension rolls...and then you moved to Mona:( But then you came back! How cool! Anyway, love ya Mel! Hope to see ya at the next club, I missed you!

b said...

Hey Mel, hope you had a great bday. Congrats to Jonny too.

Liz T. said...

Check out my food blog
tastethisliz.blogspot.com, or you can link to it from my family blog.
I have a pancake troubleshooting guide after the buttermilk pancake recipe. It even has "pancakes with a soapy taste". Good luck with all of the new changes happening.

Cormorant said...

Congratulations Jonny! You'll do great!

Dad (TMF) said...

Welcome to the grind. Dad.