FunDon't worry, the picture below is not our definition of fun. Aaron's MRI was the exact opposite, but we balanced out the week with plenty of fun experiences so hopefully he has forgotten it all.

After Aaron's CT Scan our ENT suggested that he have an MRI just to take a good look at his nerves and brain structure. Everything looked great (with the exception of the large vestibular aqueducts and mild abnormalities in his cochlea, which we already knew about). His nerves are active and he has officially been handed off to the implant surgeons. Now we will continue consultations with Primary Children's audiologists and prepare for surgery next February (when Aaron turns one).

Aaron is such a fighter, much tougher than his mother. I scheduled his MRI appointment at 6:30am so that I wouldn't have to deprive him of food when he is awake. My strategy was successful, and when he woke up I had already transported him to the hospital to meet the MRI team. For the first half hour he was so distracted by the new people and strange environment to focus on his empty belly. But, that only lasted until they put the IV in him, and suddenly he realized that he hadn't eaten for eight hours. He cried and hugged me until he noticed the bandage on his hand. He played with it all the way to the MRI room.

This was mine and Aaron's first time seeing an MRI machine. It is about the size of a diesel with a hole through the middle and Disney stickers plastered all over the face of it. I held Aaron as the nurse put the "sleeping medicine" in his IV. His body went limp, his eyelids drooped and I started to cry. The nurses said my reaction was normal, so I didn't feel too silly. Aaron fought the sleep medicine, recklessly tossing his body to and fro in my arms. Another fast-acting dose and he was still struggling to stay awake. His determination just made me smile. Coming to know this little guy is my favorite part of parenting. His little fighter spirit first surfaced at just a few weeks old, grunting as he tried so hard to hold his head up. I'm so proud of him, even (and especially) when he gave in with the second and final dose of fast-acting sleep meds.

The poor little guy was a bobble head for the rest of the day. We did our best to sleep if off that day and did even better playing it off the rest of the week.

Amber, Ryan, Zachy and Eva came to play on Thursday. Aaron loves watching the boys, especially Zach (even though Zachary tends to say "stop Aaron," every time Aaron gets close). Aaron mostly laughs at him, especially when he is riding his trike. We rode horses,

and trains...all afternoon! It was great fun.

Even though the "This is the Place Monument" was our second choice to the zoo (which was closed for a convention) it turned out to be the better choice after all.

The boys were in heaven. There was a small train that ran around a small pond, and a big train without a track that really caught Ryan by surprise. We dubbed it the pioneer train.

Aaron and I also took a visit to the Red Butte Gardens.

It was beautiful, even though he was a bit more interested in his shoes and the plain old grass than any of the gardens.

And, I had a Birthday (I am going a bit out of sequence, but no matter). Even though Aaron didn't to come along, it was pretty fun. I had lunch with some wonderful, beautiful ladies,

went to the first BYU Game in official attire,

went to dinner at Tepanyaki's with Amber, Drew and Eva

and blew out an extremely large birthday candle. Thanks for the great birthday everyone. It was sure fun. :)

10 comments:
Glad to see you had such a fun party. I would have bawled through the MRI experience too. You and Aaron are both so strong. What great news that his nerves are looking good!
You guys are AMAZING, and Aaron is so CUTE!!!
your mom's ability to kiss and look at the camera simultaneously is particularly impressive...
Wow, what amazing things you are doing! I'm so happy that things are going well for Aaron. And happy birthday! We need to get together again soon.
So glad to read that things are going well with Aaron! Happy belated Birthday Mel and congrats on starting med school Jonny!
Happy B-Day Mel. I am so excited Aaron nerves look good. I would have cryed too through the MRI. It sounds like you guys had a fun week.
It sounds like you had an eventful week. I'm glad things went well with Aaron and I hope you had a Happy Birthday!
Please post a moving picture of Aaron.
thanks for your comments and support everyone.
Paul, you missed that she is also able to flash her new ring at the same time. :) What a talented mother I have!
Lots of experiences for your little family.
Good job, Aaron. (And mom!) Medical stuff is no fun sometimes!
Enjoy Salt Lake... so much fun stuff to do!
And... Happy Birthday!
Post a Comment