Thursday, August 07, 2008

Outside
Aaron loves going outside. I took these pictures of him yesterday playing on the grass and I just love them. My sister Amber (the artistic genius in our family, next to Dallin of course) is going to play with them in photoshop a bit, but I just couldn't wait to post a few of them for your enjoyment. I sure enjoy Aaron.
One of Aaron's latest accomplishments is shaking his head back and forth really quickly. I say accomplishment because he will sometimes copy you when you do it to him. I had no idea before I had Aaron, but mimicking is a language skill, even if it isn't accompanied by sound. So, lately we've been trying to get him to copy all sorts of things we do, especially the "ba ba ba" sounds. It's normal for him not to make the actual "b" sounds, because he probably can't hear the "b" in the "ba ba," so his sounds for now just come out as "ah ah ah." When I talk to him and encourage him to take a turn at saying "ba ba" most of the time he just looks at me with a cute grin (probably wondering why his mom is so strange). But the other night when Jonny and I were playing with him he opened and closed his mouth in a "ba ba" action without making any sound. We were so excited, cheering and clapping our hands in approval. Aaron just smiled and shook his head at us. We look forward to those little moments.

Aaron is also much more agile and balanced lately. It's amazing to watch. He sits strait up without falling over for long periods of time (about 1 to 2 minutes) and when he does fall over most of the time it is quite controlled. Usually he is reaching for his feet with his mouth or leaning over to get a toy. Aaron does a great job of controlling himself while standing in his exersaucer. He can spin in circles while searching for just the right toy to chew on (or at least taste testing all of them before choosing a favorite) and he can place one foot in front of the other, spinning it in a merry-go-round fashion.
Perhaps the funniest new developments are his tendency to chew, and attempt to "gum" through everything he can get his hands on. He will scrunch his whole face and sometimes his whole body up while chewing on the unfortunate object.
Once or twice the unfortunate object was his hearing aid. Fortunately, it hasn't been the electrical part of his aids that made it into his mouth before I was able to stop the little chewing monster. While I was driving to his appointment at Primary Childrens' hospital the other day I heard his aid squeeling more than normal and looked back to find that Aaron had plucked it from his hear, disconnected the electrical portion from the ear mold and was chewing on the mold. Luckily, (and much to Aaron's disapproval) I rescued the hearing aid in time.One of the most heart-warming developments Aaron has reached is reaching up to me. Whether in his crib, carseat, or on the floor, he will reach to me if he wants to be picked up. If he isn't reaching for me immediately I will ask him if he wants me to pick him up and reach my hands to him. He bursts out with loud chirps of excitement and grabs onto my outstreached hands. It makes my heart melt.Aaron has been threatening a crawl stance for some time now. I am both excited and nervous about our little guy crawling. A few times he perches himself on his hands and knees, rocks back and forth and then launches his body forward. He is so determined to get at whatever is in front of him that it doesn't matter how he gets there. He rolls back and forth, sometimes without a particular object in sight, but once he reaches a destination it doesn't take long for him to find something of interest. This pose is the one we love, the flying swimmer. His legs kick and kick while his upper half flaps like a bird. This is one of my favorite pictures.
Just in case any of you were wondering, the CT scans were very promising. He still needs to get an MRI, but from the scan, it looks like he will be a great cochlear implant candidate. He has large vestibular aqueducts and a mildly malformed cochlea. They don't think the mild changes will hurt his ability to be implanted, so we have high hopes. Whether signing or hearing, we feel so lucky to have Aaron in our lives.

17 comments:

A.J. and Ashley said...

It's always great to see how well Aaron is accomplishing so much! He is such a cutie and I bet he is so much fun!

libby said...

I can't believe he's already five months! He's so cute! It makes me that much more excited for this little guy to come out and become a part of our family!

You are quite artistic. I love the shots of the grass in focus, and him in the background...

Kandas said...

Ahhh.. he is so cute! You are coming to club right?? I can't wait to see you!

Wendi said...

So cute. I especially love the one at the top of your blog and then the one where he looks like he is flying. I can't believe how big he is getting. See you soon!

Amy F said...

Now I know why you had to get off the phone so quickly on your way to Primary Children's! Silly Aaron.

He is such a cutie! I love these pictures. He just enjoys life, doesn't he?

Nice blog look. And I love these pictures. You are so good about documenting these everyday and important moments.

A New Life Student said...

Great pictures Mel! Who knew you were a photographer too! I guess you can add that one to the list of your many talents!
I know I say it every time but.... he is too cute!! He is going to be crawling before you know it! I am so happy everything is looking good for the implants.
Hope to see you at club!

Nick and Amera said...

Mel he is so fun!! What a happy baby and how cute is he!! He is so adorable and I just love how big his smile is! I bet you just thank your lucky stars every day to have him in yours and jonny's life! What a bright boy you got on your hands! Hope you got the word about club, im sort of an idiot at all this planning, if you have questions please just ask! Im not that great at spreading the word!

paul said...

cute kid.

Dad (TMF) said...

He said, "Grand Pappy" last night. At least, that is what I heard.

Kimberly Kidman said...

I just wanted to say you gave an excellent presentation at Council the other night. Your little one is soo darn cute congratulations!

Auger Family said...

So I want to say so many things but my kids are needing my attention so I will say my favorite!! He totally has jonnys crooked smile! I think the 2nd picture shows it the most. Oh boy, I love it! :)

KJ said...

I love your blog Mel, you are so creative and such a great writer. It's so much fun to read! Great photos too. Aaron is lucky to have you and Jonny as parents...because of you two he will have a successful and fabulous life full of accomplishments and opportunities.

elizabeth said...

This is a great blog, and I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community! There are many parents who have been there/done that with the CI process and would be happy to answer any questions you might have!

Gabrielle said...

I just saw this post, and have to say Aaron is sooooooo cute! I just wanna come and scoop him up!
I love the grass pictures, nicely done!
That is good news about the possibility for cochlear implants, I was wondering about the results of those tests.
Love to read these updates!

Liz T. said...

Thanks for finding my blog!!! I am excited to keep up with your cute blog and your precious little boy.

*Sarah Johnson* said...

Your family is so cute and your little boy is the most precious baby You guys are such good parents you look like you have alot of fun together!

Heidy said...

Melinda you are so amazing. I just wanted to say "hi" and see how you are doing and I read through a few posts and I have been uplifted by your beautiful words. The pictures are darling and your little guy is so cute. I'm glad things are going well.