Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Brotherly Love
Hello private viewers. Welcome to the blog that features photographs of our family, and a little more intimate peek into our lives. I'm glad you've all joined us. Even if I'm only talking to myself, I want to keep a running photo-log of our family. It takes me more time, but I love to be reminded of just how quickly time is going by. It helps me try to cherish every sweet second.
Here's a bit of what's been happening with the boys lately. I think snow stinks. Jared agrees with me. Aaron, on the other hand, could make footprints in it all day long; especially while wearing his soccer shoes. He loves to see the cleat holes. Somewhere along the way we got into the habit of giving him a cup of snow when we load into the car on snow-covered days. He loves this tradition, though I'm sure it's not the most sanitary practice. I'm very conscious of teaching him to screen for good snow. Who knows if it really matters.
After a long road that wound around every potty training technique in the books, Aaron is finally an independent potty user. Why did he finally give in, you ask? I took the advice of my good friend and told him we no longer had any diapers or pull ups, and let him run around commando, striking our home with a few sick pee messes for a day. But, after that day he started to get the hang of things. I'm still so proud of him every time he asks me to wipe his bum. He's also still asking me if various toys he finds at the store can be "potty training toys." Too bad the potty training toy box has been tossed out. He loved that one.The Easter Bunny Visited our home and left behind some lovely treats. Jared loved rolling around with empty plastic eggs on his blanket. Don't you just love seeing this kid naked? I have such a hard time putting clothing back on him after it has to come off (for one messy reason or another). He doesn't like wearing clothes either. But, if you look this good naked, why bother?
Awe. Too bad the camera cut half his head out of the picture. He is such a sweet baby--so studious, so interested in touching everything. His fine motor skills are off the charts...well, at least a couple of months ahead of schedule. His sounds are so soft and subtle too. The other morning he sat in his crib mummbling "ss" "sh" "ccc." It's crazy for me to hear his little noises.
Aaron was hilarious when he woke up on Easter morning. He ran to our room and said, "MOM! The Easter Bunny was here!" And then we followed him around as he discovered that little trails of m and ms led to hidden presents (more cars--just what he wanted). He would exclaim what he found, present it for a picture and then stash it in his basket. So funny. He's such a cute kid.
I ran a half marathon. I love how crazy happy I look in this picture--such a surprised expression, as if I can't believe that I've made it to the finish line.
I tried to take 5 month pictures of Jared on my bed the other day. And, of course, he had to be in his diaper--the most adorable outfit he owns. But, big brother had to strip down for the photoshoot too. I won't post many of the results with Aaron in them. A little too immodest for any internet viewing. Besides--most of them are of poor Jared rolling around on the bed, at the mercy of his underwear wearing big brother.
I have no problems posting nearly naked pics of this dude.
If I only had a penny for every time I asked Aaron to back away from the baby...a good portion of the day JJ wears this expression. I bet you can't guess why.
One of my favorite things lately has been mornings in bed with my boys. JJ has always been good at morning snuggle sessions, but lately Aaron figured out that my bed is where the party happens in the AM. Aaron is not very good at snuggling, but he is great at getting us up out of bed. There's nothing that I love more than hearing Aaron greet JJ in the morning. "LITTLE!" He says very loudly. "HI LITTLE! [giggle, giggle, snicker] he LIKES me!" And, the little boy loves his brother. Smiles grow across his chubby cheeks whenever Aaron talks to him. It's the sweetest thing I've ever seen.
Aaron had an animal themed art show at his preschool. They worked hard on their individual and class projects to present to their parents and grandparents. (This is not Aaron's class, but I loved this idea). I loved admiring all of their creations. Jared did too. They are going to auction off the class pieces at the JCC's annual fund raiser dinner. I wish I had money enough to buy them.
Aaron loved taking his grandma's to the art show luncheon--actually, he doesn't have grandmas. He has a Grandpatty and a Nana.
Aren't they beautiful? What a lucky little boy to have such sweet, loving extended mother figures in his life. I am a lucky momma. I sure love them too.
I always kind of thought that I would have a house full of boys some day. I don't really know why. But I never imagined how much I would love watching them love each other. I love how they tickle and tease, how they "wrestle" and sword fight, how they pretend that I'm the momma princess.
I love the strange things that become normal becuase I have boys: like always having cars in the bathtub, shifting between star wars, Peter Pan and Jimmer characters all day long (did you know Jimmer plays soccer really well). I am a lucky momma.
For whatever reason God has blessed me with these boys in my life, I'm thankful. There are probably more up their waiting to join our party--sorry guys, not any time soon, but I will be happy when/if they do. I will sure miss watching them play with their Daddy while he is away in Texas. Oh how I love my boys.

4 comments:

Calee said...

Melinda it's fun to have more of a peek into your real life! It's funny how we remember people the way they were when we last saw them. I still see you as the cheer coach that I used to work with at gymnastics;). You look awesome just like back then, and you've made a couple of beautiful babies!

Dad (TMF) said...

the kids look like their parents who look like Nana and GrandPatty.

Kandas said...

Your boys are adorable and look at you hot mama running a 1/2 after having a baby not too long ago. You are my hero!

libby said...

I love seeing pictures of your cute boys. love you guys!