Friday, May 20, 2011

Last Day of School
Aaron had an amazing year at the Jewish Community Center. It's hard to explain how grateful we are for this place and the people there who shepherded him through his first year of preschool. God is looking out for this little one.
His teachers, Miss Raquel and Miss Bethany were custom fit to his needs and personality.
Miss Raquel was steady, sweet and perceptive. She studied Aaron's actions and put up with my paranoid concerns. She kept me up to speed with his progress in the class room. She complimented him. Having formerly worked for USDB, she understood his cochlear implants and how they affected his development. She cared for him.I think Aaron will have a crush on Miss Bethany for the rest of his life. She enchanted him, comforted him, sang with him, created with him and loved him. Their classroom was magical. There were so many days that I wanted to be a fly on the wall. I wanted to learn all of their songs, participate in their little lessons and dress up like a princess while Aaron played my valiant knight.
But I couldn't. I couldn't keep him from this chance to grow, from this opportunity to make new friends without momma to mediate, from this place to play, from the lease to learn from others. I'm so glad that I didn't. Of course, I took every chance I got to watch his growth behind the two-way glass, but it was best he couldn't see me. His confidence grew. His vocabulary exploded. And, I dare say, he learned to "give a friend a stop." (at least, most of the time). I'm so proud of him.

No comments: