The Faces and Phrases of December
I didn't catch them all, (in fact I'm lucky that my camera lens caught the few faces on digi film that it did) but oh how we miss them. We were so lucky to be guests in our parents homes for all of December during Jonny's family medicine rotation. Though at times I felt like a parasite (contributing little, gaining a lot), we were blessed to have such selfless hosts. Thank you for everything you give us. We miss you so much.

Little JJ didn't have much to say besides a few "coos" during the month of December. I cherished every one of them, and his sweet smiles that surfaced. It's amazing to watch him grow--really, this kid can add new chubby rolls over night. Once when I was changing Jared I complimented him on his chubby rolls, then immediately heard Beckah ask, "What does chubby mean?" That was a fun conversation.

Aaron's excited phrase, "He likes you!" dominated our speech in December. He said it every time we held him, and turned it around on himself whenever JJ was on his lap. Jonny and I caught ourselves mimicking Aaron often. I reminded Jonny how much Jared likes him every time Jonny was able to get JJ to calm when I couldn't. Jared loves his daddy.

Aaron quickly became the self-appointed spokesman for what Jared likes and doesn't like. And, it seems that JJ and Aaron have a lot of things in common. Aaron placed his violin (Jonny's old, first instrument) in JJ's crib because he was sure that JJ would need it to help him sleep, just like Aaron did. You see, Aaron has a hard time going to sleep away from home and Jonny's old voilin was one of many comfort items he insisted to be at his bedside. Another favorite phrase from December was, "My bow needs more rosin on it," (said matter-of-factly while nodding his head and jutting out his chin).

Speaking of sleep, I didn't get much of it in December. Aaron often tried to reason with us, "I'm just going to go to bed tomorrow, ok?" Between a newborn and an unsettled toddler at night, I bounced back and forth between the rocking chair, my bed and Aaron's closet bed at night (don't worry, it was a big closet). Aaron would wake up at least twice in the middle of the night crying, "MOM, I WANT YOUR HAIR!" So, I'd meander into his closet (sometimes with Jared in tow) and let him play with my hair until he went back to sleep. It's hard to tell your child no when his request is so cute. In December Aaron often played with me a game he called, "Buzz Lightyear and the long haired princess." Guess who I was. Awe, so glad I'm someone's princess.

Aaron's adjustment to JJ has been so sweet. He insists on sitting by him, hugging him, kissing him, etc. At night time when I would sing to Aaron, he had to have JJ in the closet with us. One of my sweetest memories from December was sitting in that tiny room with both of my boys, singing them both to sleep with Christmas songs. That doesn't happen often, but I was thankful the sweet, spiritual moment when it did.

Aaron is such a proud brother, and JJ mostly appreciates his attention. Aaron's high pitched, adoring voice is priceless. It's also a little embarrassing because I know who he is mimicking. It almost sounds like he has a southern drawl when he says with long, drawn out phrases, "OH, baby JJ," "OH, I'm so sorry baby JJ" (when he's crying), and just last night he said, "Do you want your momma to feed you baby J." I often ask Jared if he would like his Dadda to hold him. This is the effect Jonny has on him; he definitely has the touch with Jared. JJ even likes sleeping in Jonny's his armpit. That's true love, right there. I know, I've been there. :)

We had a couple exciting shopping moments in December. I was initiated into the world of a mother of two at REI one night when Jonny when to pick up my present. Aaron went in with his dada while I stayed in the car with JJ--that is, until JJ decided he felt left out. So, I packed him up in the stroller and headed in. Aaron was riding a bike next to Jonny...just "checking it out," he said. Jonny went to pay while I took the boys back to the section with the bikes, or at least that was my intention. It wasn't Aaron's. When he tuned into my gameplan he decided to take his bike down a different route. I calmly said, "slow down," but he only sped up. Soon Aaron was riding fast enough that I was at jogging speed (with Jared in the stroller). I repeated "Stop, Aaron, Stop!" over and over, but he didn't respond. Finally when I threatened him he yelled back at me, "I WILL NOT STOP!" I was torn between laughing and yelling. Finally I cornered him and pulled him off the bike. I was angry, but had a hard time keeping a strait face as I asked him if not stopping was a bad choice or a good choice.

Christmas eve with Aaron was very special. (I need to get all of the pictures from Amber). It was so much fun, and so gratifying to see how much he loved the nativity and the stories. We did the nativity Frandsen style--pulling dress up clothes from anywhere in the house. Aaron began the nativity as a shepherd and ended up an angel. I narrated, toddler style, asking questions as we went along. My favorite response was from the question, "Where was Jesus born?" Aaron said, "The angel said Jesus was born to the star." Jonny admired.

We also had the annual Isaac ginger bread "house" competition. This year was a very creative year, including a vegan house, a monster/dinosaur and an incredibly carved Provo tabernacle (complete with flames). That was Grandma Isaac's favorite--a page out of history.

Christmas morning with our boys was so much fun this year. Aaron really looked forward to getting his "Big 'ole truck" from Santa. I had finished shopping for him two months before Christmas day...scored big with a great KSL deal on a Geotrax set. And, though he never asked for a train set (even when repeatedly asked), he LOVED it. And, he also go the big 'ole truck he wanted from Santa.

Aaron and I got Jonny an iron gym for Christmas. When he opened it my mom said, "Is that to help make your dad big and strong?" Aaron responded, "My dad is already big and strong." Awe. JJ was easy to please this year. I felt a bit guilty that we didn't have much for him to open, but what do you get a month old baby? He got a crocheted blanket, socks, a few new outfits and a lot of attention from family members. I think that was his favorite gift.

Jared gave us all the gift of his sweet, peaceful presence this Christmas season. It was sweet to look at, hold and cherish my little baby boy over the holidays. He brought a calming presence with him that is hard to explain. He soothes my stresses and helps me remember what is most important every day and night. I enjoy watching him grow overnight, but it's also sad to see his sweet infant features fading away. I will always remember my peaceful Christmas baby.

Another sweet part of Christmas day was talking to my missionary brother, Jake. He is such a big part of our family and was very missed. I wonder what I'll be like when I'm a missionary mom--probably just as weepy as my own mother. I hope I'm as good at sending packages as she is. She always outdoes herself. In his own, quiet way my dad does too. He let me finish decorating the basement for mom for Christmas--even stayed up late hanging curtain rods. Then he surprises mom with another ring on Christmas morning...

I love watching my mom and dad interact. I also love hearing my mom remind all of her daughters that we each have a stake in the rings she receives from Dad every year. She does love diamonds, but not as much as she loves dad.

Can you tell what we stuffed Aaron's stocking with for Christmas? I knew he would like the giant chocolate kiss. It was the first thing he did--unwrap it, stick it to the palm of his hand and chew on it until it was gone. Then, he asked, "I'll have more chocolate now." You know your child's nutrition is at risk when it's just a given that they will have more chocolate.

We are lucky every year to have two family Christmas celebrations. We love being with our families. Aaron loves being with his cousins, even though he was a bit of a bully this year. There were all sorts of messes that the Frandsen household endured this year due to the mischievous behavior of Aaron and his accomplices. At one point I saw Beckah and Aaron covered in a powdery substance, snickering. It took a little work, and a few "Don't tell my mom" pleas from Beckah, but soon they led me to the scene of their crime. They had a lot of fun throwing powdered sugar from the balcony. There was even a bit on the opposing wall. That one took a bit of work to clean up, but with a little help from the criminals my anger diminished. You can see what big helpers we have around these parts.

Lafe gave so many touching gifts this year. He is a teenager unlike any other, using so much of his own money to make each of us smile each year. He puts on a hard front, but I think he's really a softie in there.

We were all enlisted into Club Frandsen this year. Mom and Dad put so much effort into making our family experience memorable and special and each year they overachieve. I love each of our traditions with Club Frandsen, and I'm so excited that Libby is adding another male recruit in a few months!

December was a special month, ending with a funeral and baby blessing that deserves its own post. Aaron's sweet assessment of Uncle Ron's passing still brings me to tears. When he looked at Uncle Ron's picture with Grandpatty he said, "He's with Heavenly Father now." He is right. I felt sorrowful, then inspired and rededicated to my personal and familial goals through it all. It was a Christmas season we will never forget.
3 comments:
It looks like you guys had a busy busy holiday!! Looks like you had alot of fun though!! How much longer until Jonny is done with school? It seems like he is near to being done right? Its seems likes its gone by fast!
Baby JJ is SO CHUBBY!! I love chubby babies!! Chubby babes are absolutely adorable! Aaron looks like he is a great older protective brother.
Hope all is well!!
We are always glad to share time with you guys... especially holiday adventures!
Thank you for documenting the powdered sugar incident. Classic.
Yay for babies! So happy for you. These are hard months but you guys are so great. Have fun!!
Post a Comment