So Long Sweet Summer
Today was a busy day: goodbye to Jonny for his first internal med overnighter at the hospital, getting Aaron excited about getting dressed to meet his preschool teachers, speech therapy appointment, prek orientation, getting Aaron comfortable in his classroom, enticing him to nap, paperwork, tuition, mail, bills, deliveries, chasing down a babysitter so I could attend parent orientation (thank you Melissa!), parent orientation, wrangling Atrain into pjs, bedtime routine, crash. There were a few sweet moments of exploration and play in between it all, but I also heard a few angry "Don't talk to my mama!" complaints from my adoring boy. He does love my attention, and I love giving it to him.
(201o SF fiesta days rodeo: mom wrangling Aaron with baby Jared in the belly)
When we got home from everything tonight Jonny surprised us by being home "early," meaning that he got to sleep in his own bed tonight because there was a shortage of cots in the hospital. We were so happy to see him! The tivo was frozen on an image of a cowboy riding a bull. Aaron looked at it, then turned to me and said, "Tonight we go to bed, then the sun comes up and tomorrow we go to the rodeo!" with such sincere excitement in his voice. OH how I wish I could make that happen. How to explain to him that summer and rodeos and water slides have all slipped away with the season?

(Family traditions. Aaron had to wear his boots too.)
And, how can I keep Aaron's adorable two year old isms from slipping away from me too? He is such a sweet boy, so full of imagination, enthusiasm, heart and attitude. After days like today I'm left wondering if we would be better off just retreating from the registered world and pretending like we're "The Incredibles" all day (part of his bedtime routine last night when he put on a shirt that had a super-hero look to it...he told me I had red hair and that I was elastigirl...I proceeded ot stretch hug him from far away).

(Loved sitting by cousin Ella. He always impersonates her fingers, blanket holding and happy laugh)
There are brief moments when I wonder if I should stop pretending that his new friend "Game" exists (red and green hair and all), but then life just wouldn't be as fun, or as rewarding. His preschool believes in the power of play, so I'm sure it's fine if Aaron takes Game with him to school tomorrow.
(Taking a break from pools and bike riding under Nana's shade tree)
I just received the best email from my mother in law. She watched Aaron last Saturday night. Jonny couldn't leave Aaron at home while he went to the first BYU game, even though a toddler isn't the best sport for a 4 hour football match. So, they indulged in the pregame festivities (BBQ, football throwing, guy talk, etc) and Pat snatched him during the actual showdown with Washington. 
(living it up in Grandpa's pool. Mom tries to keep track of CIs before they are ditched in the grass or water. Success, for the most part)
It was for the better. Aaron loves exploring with Grandpatty--who loves taking him on adventures. But I guess this time around he took her on an adventure with the doll buggy and Baby Jared (the name for our 2nd little man). He would stop the buggy and pat baby Jared, then when their walk was over he picked Jared up, carried him over to the couch and continued to pat his pretend baby brother.

(Critiquing the Fiesta Days parade with cousins from Grandpatty's aunt's home. Love how Dada "dressed" Aaron? PJs on top, Hawaiian shorts on bottom)
Of course I'm crying as I'm reading this email. Not only because it's sweet and I'm looking forward to their brotherly bonding, but because Aaron is old enough to pretend to carry his little brother around. And he's old enough to notice that my belly is getting rather large, and respond by telling me that his belly is getting really big too. And he's old enough that when Jonny asked if he would like to honk the horn in the car he responded, "I can't Dada, I'm stuck in my car seat."

(Steeling a ride on Uncle Lafe's scooter, and occasionally steeling his identity)
Sometimes I wish he could be stuck in that car seat forever, and be the same size and the same Aaron forever, but soon I'm going to have to buy him a booster seat. Even though I know how much he'll like it, and how much I will love the boy and man he becomes, I just love him so much right now--this little Aaron who tells me that he tried to find me all night while I was at my meeting. Please love me always as much as you love me now.
3 comments:
Don't worry... it keeps getting better!
I love seeing more and more of his personality as he grows.
Aaronisms--must be in the genes as they sound just like Jonathan at that age.
You are having a boy! What fun. It's fun to catch up with you guys. I'm sure Aaron will be a wonderful big brother. You look darling with a baby belly!
Post a Comment