Monday, September 20, 2010

First Day of School
We planned, we applied, we prepared and then we parted. Last week Aaron had his first day of school at the Jewish Community Center.
His first day was perfect. He didn't even cry; neither did I. We left that for the second day of school. He was so thrilled to pack his lunch in the backpack he bought with nana. He loved putting on the football school shirt he choose with grandpatty. He was quite the sight--nearly toppling over with with the weight of the pack, slightly large shoes and the excitment of his first day.
He insisted that I "pick him up" on the sidewalk (like we occasionally do with dada when he's at work or school). When we arrived, Aaron couldn't even look strait at the camera long enough for me to get a good shot. He was too busy checking out the other backpacks (particularly the rolling "rolly" ones) and his new friends as we walked into school.
I was so hopeful: hopeful that all of our school talk would "pay off," that we were making the right decision for his development, that he would make friends and play nice, that he would be able to hear well in a toddler classroom, that he would trust me to come back, etc., etc., etc.
So far, so good. SO good. He comes home with new ideas and ways to express them. He's more apt to open up to people outside our family, and is gaining more confidence in unfamiliar environments. He tells endless stories about the bike with the trailor on his school playground. He loves dancing with "Bethame," and is working on how to "give a friend a stop," and to use the stop sign for himself. Yesterday when I picked him up he had paint splotches covering him from head to toe. Paint fight. Hum.
His teachers are perfect for him. Both have professional experience with CI kids and have great expectations for him. I love the curriculum, particularly the "Ethical Start" program. We enjoy learning more about Jewish culture and participating in the traditions. I love the cheesy grin on his face in this "first day" picture. For all these reasons, and others I can't put into words, I'm thankful. Happy Sukkot everyone!





5 comments:

paul said...

very exciting! cute boy.

ella watched me read and said, 'there's aaron.' i hope they can be life-long friends...

Jill T said...

Oh, he looks so grown up! I'm glad things are going well!

Stephen said...

i want to go to that school...

Kandas said...

Looks like he is loving it! What a cute boy!

Amy F said...

I love the looks of excitement you captured in these pictures! What a sweetie. So glad this came into your lives.