Tuesday, January 27, 2009

34 Days

No matter what I am doing during the day it's always at the back of my mind. March 2nd-the day I look forward to and dread when we will say goodbye to Aaron's hearing aids and hello to a whole new hearing world. Aaron will go in for surgery that morning at 6:00am to be bilaterally implanted with new "bionic ears"--commonly known as cochlear implants. It will be a rough day, to say the least, and a difficult few months to follow as Aaron learns how to hear all over again through electronic signals. He will do great. It's a miracle how innately able he is meet the challenges ahead of him. He is so determined, curious, interactive, strong and smart. It is a miracle that we have him. He makes us equal to our challenges ahead.

Last week we passed a huge obstacle in our path toward Aaron's surgery. I cried tears of relief and gratitude as I talked to Jonny over the phone. All the while I wiped my cheeks and nose with one of Aaron's burp cloths. I didn't realize how closely Aaron was watching me until he picked up the cloth and blotted my face with it. I think my heart doubled in size as I scooped him in my arms and thanked him for drying my tears. We know the best and worst is yet to come, and we know God is with us.

As we prepare for Aaron's surgery you're invited to ask us any questions you may have. Really, ask! I would love to help you travel this journey with us. Thank you for your prayers and words of encouragement and support. We couldn't do this without you.

17 comments:

Gabrielle said...

Wow, I didn't realize the procedure had already been scheduled! What a mix of emotions you must have.
Aaron will be in my prayers as he embarks on this new journey.

Stew Campbell said...

Mel & Jonny: I subscribe to your blog and I just felt like I should respond to tonight's posting.

Really...I am very touched by you and Jonny and your little Aaron. I can tell (and know) that you both are such great parents and Aaron is so lucky to have you both.

I will be anxiously waiting to hear the results of his surgery and his progress in the coming year. Please keep me posted.

I will keep your little family in my prayers as you both are dear friends to me.

Much love,
Stewy Campbell

Debbie said...

Hi Melinda... I don't know if you even remember who I am but I stumbled across your blog while 'stalking' (in the nicest way) someone elses I can't even remember who it was. I'm a serial stalker. lol Anyway, I just wanted you to know how happy I am for you and your son and to tell you that you all will be in our prayers as you undergo this big change. So grateful for such amazing technology!

A New Life Student said...

Hey Mel,
That is amazing technology! How much hearing will he have after the implant?
Of course I don't know what you are going through but as a Mother, I can only imagine. You will ALL be in our prayers. Little Aaron is such a little trooper and he will do great! You are amazing parents and Aaron is lucky to have you both!

Melissa Stringham said...

Hey, I haven't seen you forever. Jack told me about the insurance thing and what a miracle that is! It seriously brought tears to my eyes! I am so happy for you. aaron will do so well, he is such a smart and social little guy.

Tish said...

you'll certainly be in my prayers and thoughts.

Kandas said...

Oh my goodness, I didn't know that was in the plan. Isn't it amazing what can be done?? We live in such a bleased time!! Good luck with everything!!

Jill T said...

I love the burp cloth story. How sweet of Aaron! We are so happy for all of you!

Liz T. said...

This is so exciting. Please keep posting about the logistics of the surgery!!! We are all here to support you. Go Aaron!!! I love that he dried your tears. My boy is like that too, and it just makes me cry more.

Jamee Fuller said...

I am constantly humbled by your faith and insight. Your family will be in my prayers.

lacey said...

hi jonny and mel, i found your blog on the class of 2002 site. i am not sure if you remember me my maden name is lacey graff anyways i had know idea about you little guy,i hope everything goes well and he will be in our prayers. lots of love.

jina carter said...

Melinda, I haven't seen you in such a long time! Your little Aaron is adorable. I didn't even know that you'd had a baby! The last time I saw you was at the Springville Baby Contest a couple years ago.

How hard it must be to know the things that Aaron will have to go through at his surgery. I think about you often and will keep your family in my prayers.

ron said...

Dear Jonny and Melinda,
We are so happy for you. Aaron is such a sweet little guy and will be in our thoughts and prayers.
We love you.
Uncle Ron and Aunt Shauna

Jonny, Mel, Aaron said...

Thank you for all your comments and support everyone. It means so much to know that you care and your prayers are with us too. Thank you.

Dad (TMF) said...

After Pat returned home tonite, Aaron tore off his hearing aids, 'telling' Grandpatty he was ready for bed.
Then when he saw her holding the bottle, he put his hand on his chest to sign 'please.' Not long before that, he heard the dog bark and put his hand down on his leg to sign 'dog.' Grandpatty took him to Hobbes and he was satisfied. Isn't speech wonderful?

Amy F said...

Oh, little Aaron. He is such a strong little soul with lots of determination and spunk. He has what it takes to make this work--a wonderful combination of his inherent characteristics and his gifted parents.

And you all have a huge cheering section!! Love you!

Thanks for the video.

Hailey said...

Hi again,
I love your tear wiping story... sounds familiar. All of my children seem to have been given an extra helping of perception through the deafness issue.

This is somehow a good bad thing--not a bad bad thing. Does that make sense? And Aaron is so blessed to be bilaterally implanted at once.

Did insurance come through for you!?! That entire option is on hold for us. Causes tightness in my chest, anxiety. Can children just do well "enough"?

Melinda, could you help me post that video on the Journey to Hear blog? It is really great. I have two big interesting things to post, if I can just carve out the time.

Lost of questions...! I'll save them for another day.