Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Food


Aaron has joined the ranks of cereal lovers in the family. Cereal is my favorite food (sad, I know) and it seems to be growing on Aaron. At least his dive for the spoon makes me assume so. I really enjoy feeding him up at the table. He is hilarious. He acts as if he has waited every day of his little life to be at the table with us. When Jonny is able to make it home for lunch we all eat together, but Jonny and I mostly watch Aaron chow down, lean from side to side, bang his hands on the table and chirp with excitement. Who knew being together at the table would be this much fun?



This new part of Aaron's routine has also allowed us to introduce a few new signs into his routine, so here are some great food signs to begin with:

Cereal:
Banana:
Just like you are pealing a banana, and your finger is the banana. Repeat a "peeling" motion twice.
Milk:
The motion is just like you are milking a cow. Open your fish a little and then squeeze your fist as you pull slightly down.
Bread:
The motion is like slicing bread. The vertical hand is the bread and the other hand "slices" it with the fingertips.
Apple:
Twist your knuckle on your cheek.
Cheese:
Rub your palms back and forth, like your are squishing something in your hands.
Cookie:
Make a "C" with your hand on top and twist it on your palm like you are cutting out a cookie.
Sugar/Candy/Cute:
It all depends on the facial expression. :) Move your pointer and middle finger up and down by your lips. If you want to mean "cute" make a cute face.
Water:
Make a "three" with your fingers and touch your pointer finger to your chin.
Drink:
Pretty self-explanatory, like you are holding a glass and taking a drink.
Eat/Food:
The motion is like holding food and putting it in your mouth. Move your fingers to your lips.

And here are a few things other than food that Aaron has been eating lately. I love the determined look on his face in both of these pictures. He was trying so hard to bite through the teething ring that he was flexing his whole body and grunting. What a good little eater. You can imagine that I am not looking forward to his teeth.

16 comments:

Kandas said...

You are such amazing parents. Keep up the good work and keep the posts coming. I think it is so fun to learn all these words!

Tish said...

cute pics!! we've been teaching jade some signs but she just ends up signing "more" for everything.

Amy F said...

Woah, Aaron! You need a bigger spoon! I love how he is doing everything in his power to get as much of everything in his mouth... leaning in with his body, head, and mouth... sucking the daylights out of that teeny spoon.

And I love how Jonny is holding the spoon. Be careful, or Aaron is going to take it right away!

Fun food signs. Thanks for the new installment!

Semi Granola Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Semi Granola Mom said...

I agree, it looked like Aaron was going to eat Jon's hand if he wasn't careful. He is getting so big!

Careful teaching him the sign for candy so early, it will come back to bite you. As Jasmin falls asleep at night, she signs that she wants candy (because in my husband's family they have treats before going to bed and he is ruining her by continuing this tradition.) I swear it is one of her favorite signs... good thing she is little and we are told to feed her calories, calories, calories :)

~H said...

I hope you don't mind that I tracked you down through Tisha's blog. I just wanted to tell you both that I really love and look up to both of you! You are such wonderful parents and great examples to me! Thank you! I am going to have to keep posted with your blog I'm excited to learn sign language with you! love you guys!

Stephen said...

that sign for milk is weird, don't you think?

but aaron is the cutest little kid around. and jonny's beard is pretty manly.

Semi Granola Mom said...

Jana, from www.babysteals.com ( I talk to her on facebook, though I don't know her ) just told me that Monday's steal of the day will be signing time ( steals of the day are at least 50% off of retail ) There will only be 8 baby signing time videos and then there is 100 each of the signing time volumes 1-3. If you don't already have them and are thinking of getting them, Monday at 9 AM is the time to get them :) She puts one steal a day on her site, and the steal is announced at 9 AM each morning. Just thought I would pass on the info :)
~Clerissa

Semi Granola Mom said...

Glad to hear you have access to signing time, it really is an amazing resource. I signed with Jasmin since she was born, then my hubby took a class at UVU so he could help, but it didn't click for her until she say other kids signing in the videos. The Baby Einstein video with ... dang I can't recall her name, but she was in Children of a Lesser God and on Dancing with the Stars recently ( a deaf actress ), but yes she is in the Baby Einstein video and that one is amazing. It isn't centered on music like signing time is and so its more visual and is a great resource as well.

~Clerissa :)

Dad (TMF) said...

What did you do for fun before you had Aaron?

A New Life Student said...

Aaron is too cute. He really is loving that cereal! I love how he dives for the spoon. Julia manages to grab for the spoon and fling food everywhere! Aaron seems to be keeping it quite clean...what a good little boy :)

MJ said...

Yeah, we're not sure what we did for fun before Aaron. :) He sure keeps us entertained.

Steven, I do agree that this particular milk sign is a little strange, I had no idea it was animated when I posted it to the blog. :)

Thanks for all your comments everyone.

Semi Granola Mom said...

When learning sign, they say that the sign for milk is like milking a cow, so kind of makes sense :)
~C

Jinger said...

Melinda dearest ol'friend of mine! How in the heck are ya?!!! I ran across your blog and was so excited to find it! I've been reminiscing our fun highschool times together. It was also fun to run into you at the BYU bookstore! Your babe is ADORABLE too! I would love to keep in touch! Check out our blog when you get some time. www.carsonandnykelle.blogspot.com

Old Main Photography said...

Hi sista! Wow cute pictures! I loved that video of Aaron- Drew and I thought he was so adorable eating food. Aaron is my favorite nephew. I was thinking that since you and kaity will be moving away, I'm going to keep my blog more updated now. Does Kaity have one? We should make her. :) love ya!

*Sarah Johnson* said...

Melinda How have you been I haven't seen you since Graduation I see you have a little boy now what are you up to these days?