Tuesday, January 15, 2008

My Incredible Coworkers

The other day during Sunday dinner I told my family that the people I work with were throwing me a baby shower the following day. My brother in law Drew looked up at me with a surprised expressi
on and said, "Where do you work?," almost as if he didn't know that I either: A) have a job, or B) work in an office with people. It was quite funny. Perhaps he was just surprised that I work with people kind enough to throw me a baby shower. My coworkers are amazing--some of the greatest people I know. They helped make my two years in graduate school quite enjoyable and very rewarding. Here are a few cameos:


This is Tricia--spunky, smart and Scottish. I give her complete credit for my success in our Administrative Law class. She was a graduate assistant with me last year, but now officially works for CPPA (the Center for Public Policy and Administration, the umbrella organization over the Master of Public Administration program that I work for) as a research assistant. Her policy perspectives pieces made the media come chasing after her for interviews in the past few months and although she loathes the attention, she does a great job. She is a great friend.

These are the three wise men, or wise guys depending on who you ask (sorry about the pathetic picture). Rick Green, on the left, is the Director of the MPA program. He is enthusiastic, caring and a proud Grandpa. Dave Patton, in the middle, is the director of CPPA and my boss. He loves to joke and sometimes we poor graduate assistants (four total) don't catch on as fast as we should. My growing baby belly has brought quite a few laughs to the office over the past few months because of Dave. He makes it fun to go to work. Ken Embly, on the right, handles outreach for CPPA. He is one of the most vibrant people I know--he loves his job. Most of my work with the Westside Leadership Institute has been with Ken. He's a great mentor.

Linda. What would we do without her. She is the Administrative Assistant for the MPA program. In my Practice of Public Management class last semester we were discussing the strengths and weaknesses of the MPA program and one of my classmates said, "Linda is our greatest asset." Her attention to detail in every aspect of her work is incredible. Just look at the two sets of hand-crocheted receiving blankets, burp cloths and bibs she gave us. (For those of you who have never crocheted, you should measure the time it took to do this like itunes measures the amount of music on your system, in days rather than hours). To think that our little guy will just spit up on these items!





This is Sarah. She is one of the great policy analysts working for CPPA. She has the best laugh and is great at playing the devil's advocate role during staff meetings. She just completed the NY marathon last fall with an incredible time. She is heading up the betting pool for when the baby will come and how much he will weigh. Everyone put in a dollar with their guesses. Some staff members bet that I only had five days to go. Yikes.


Holly, on my right, is the graduate assistant that has been working with me since day one. She is an awesome person--the kind of environmentally conscious citizen who spends their Spring Break helping save a forest in Oregon and petitions her apartment building to have a recycling bin. She is great. She just scored an awesome internship in Ralph Becker's (SLC's new mayor) office. Jenny, on the left, heads up the policy group for CPPA. She just had a little baby girl and has been an awesome daily resource for me and Bruiser. She is so thoughtful and is always complimentary and encouraging about my work.

And...this
is me. :) See Drew, I do have a job and I do work with people, even if my cubicle is located behind the bookcases in the reference room. There is no place I would rather be. I feel bad that I am missing pictures of some really key players: the other GAs Lissy and Jamee; Angie and Melissa, the MPP and MPA program coordinators; Janice, policy analyst and mother of twins who has left me with some wonderful hand-me-downs (including a pair of Utah sweats for the little guy...) and Cathy, Julie, Jolaine, Shelly Megan, the other CPPA's super-heroes. I'll have to get them another day. This job and these people have made my experience at the U incredible. I feel lucky to know them.


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post honey.

I am going to start the official "When is the baby going to come?" thread. So everybody that reads this thread has to do the following:

1. Guess when you think the baby will come.
2. Guess How much you think the baby is going to weigh.
3. Guess How tall/long you think the baby is going to be.
4. And last, but not least, give a suggestion for a name. :)

Just for your information, the official due date is Feb. 6th.

I'll start it out.
1. The baby is going to come on Jan. 31st.
2. He is going to weigh 8 pounds 1 ounce.
3. He'll be 20 inches long.
4. I think mel (after his mother) sounds like a good name. :)

libby said...

1. The baby will come on January 25th.
2. He will weigh 8 pounds 6 ounces.
3. He will be 19 inches long.
4. I really like Isaac (once again, after his mom)...

libby said...

By the way Jonny, I don't think this post was necessarily about the environment... I could be wrong... :)

Jill T said...

Ok, I'll guess.
1. February 8th (sorry, 2 extra days!)
2. 8 pounds 9 ounces
3. 20 inches
4. and I'm with Libby, I like Isaac, after his mom! Sorry Jonny, Mel and Mel would be too confusing! :)

Dad (TMF) said...

February 3rd so Mom can fly in from Pittsburgh and go right to the University Hospital.

Will weight 7 # 15 oz

Will be 21 inches long

Patrick after his grandmother.

Anonymous said...

1. The baby will come January 25th
2. He will weigh 7 lbs. 9 oz.
3. He will be 21 inches long.
4. I also have to go with the family name of Isaac. Love it!

Do we get a prize if we're the closest? hee hee

Stephen said...

1. june 15, 1968
2. one million
3. four
4. geronimo p. ashbar

Jonny, Mel, Aaron said...

Libby: sorry to lead you astray

Dad: i like patrick

Elyse: a prize ... i hadn't thought about that yet. how about this. the person that is closest to the correct date will get the first phone call from the hospital!

Stevie: i'll consider geronimo p.

Anonymous said...

the last comment was by me...not both of us.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! That is so so funny! Angela was my best friend all through high school. What a small small world. Can't wait to tell them-ha ha.

Elyse

Anonymous said...

Mel, you are so cute! We LOVE working with you...I will miss you when you have to leave :-(

Amy F said...

Fun post... thank you for introducing us to your co-workers. It will be a strange shock for you to have such a different environment/schedule/routine. You'll do wonderfully well!

We are soooo excited!! Crazy to think it could be any day... BUT...

The-Baby-Formerly-Known-As-Bruiser will...

Arrive January 28... in time for your first FHE with a child

Weigh 9 lbs 1 oz

Be 21 inches tall

Take on the name of David.

Jonny... you are brave taking on the task of multiple complex calculations when trying to decide whom to call first. Perhaps you should make it a bit easier on yourself and just promise the first official babysitting of The-Baby-Formerly-Known-As-Bruiser to the closest guesser!?! Anyone would be lucky for that prize!!

paul said...

what a fun post mel. i'm sure all the members of your program and co-workers will sorely miss you.

1. February 7th
2. 8 lbs 4 oz
3. 19 3/4 inches
4. Pat

paul said...

stephen is always so witty, and makes me laugh

paul said...

interestingly...doogie howser and ice cube were both born on june 15th...

Amy F said...

???? That was soooo random, Paul.

I'm just checking out the width of that crocheted edge on that blanket. Wow! What a woman!

And here's a request to post a picture of the nursery for all of us to see the final touches you have made since Christmastime...

MJ said...

Wow--I think this is a record for our lowly little blog. :) Jonny you should be proud of yourself.

Well, I guess that I should make an official guess as well. Here it goes:

1. February 9th (I really don't want to go that far over, but it is my favorite day of the year and I'm starting to feel like the little tike is going to be in there forever)
2. 9 # 2 oz
3. 21''
4. I like David, Aaron, Isaac and Maxwell. I'm just going to have to see when he gets here!

MJ said...

Amy--I like how you referred to him as the "Baby Formerly Known As Bruiser." We'll definitely party like it's 1999 when he gets here (or something like that). I'm planning a post that has pictures of the baby showers and the room...hopefully we'll have all the finishing touches done by then!

Paul--good to hear your voice, or I guess just read your comments. :) I hope you are feeling better.

Stephen--as much as I like the name Geronimo, and your birthday, I don't think either are in the running. :) Maybe next baby.

Libby--I actually had to quiz Jonny to see if he read through the post . He did pass the test, but I was still suspicious...

Elyse--welcome to the blog!

MJ said...

Tricia--it was fun to have you as one of the feature photos on our blog. Don't be a stranger! :)