Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Blessing

Our little Davey had a very special day. It was his blessing day.
When he awoke on October 13th there was a sweet spirit of anticipation and gratitude that filled our home.  This little man brings us so much joy. David has such a sweet, patient presence that makes him easy to adore. 
We got him all dressed up in the outfit Nana and Grandpa bought for him. Aunt Kaitlyn made his adorable linen shoes.  I crocheted his white blessing blanket. He looked so dapper in his bow tie. The brothers had to match Davey, so they put on their vests and bow ties too. They were a handsome crew.
David's was the first baby blessing we had in our own ward, and in our own home.  We were really excited to have 50ish family members in our home to welcome him into the family. Rain was in the forecast and all week we fretted about where to put everyone. When the clouds let loose that morning we set up tables and chairs in every square inch of our little home in preparation for our guests, then smiled knowing that our family would love us even if they were toe to toe with one another.  
We drove to the church and found most of our family there, already seated. I just cried. Seeing so many faces I love and admire gathered in one place to be a part of this moment for Davey and for our family is special.  Time seemed to slow as I held him and gazed around the chapel.
The meeting began and moments later the Priesthood circle formed around Davey.  And then Jonny gave one of the most beautiful blessings to our David Tracy Frandsen (text below). 
David Tracy is a special boy, with a name to remind him of his special heritage: named after both his grandfathers.  They are two of the best men than I know.  They are men of faith who love God and live their testimonies. They are courageous men who are honest in all their dealings.  And they are two of the hardest workers I know.  Each has their distinct personalities, and so will Davey. But I pray that my children can walk in the footsteps of these good men.  I don't know why I have been so blessed to have them in my life. 

David Tracy Frandsen was the name we had chosen to name our first baby boy when we went to the hospital.  When he was born, Jonny and I felt--each on our own--that his name was Aaron. JJ was always unmistakably Jared Jonathan.  And when I was in the hosptial with JJ, I had the sweetest feeling that there was another little boy waiting.  He waited patiently for his turn. Sweet baby Davey.

Grandpatty surprised us with the most beautiful and unique quilt for him.  From shirts each of his grandfathers wore she pieced together an intricate diamond pattern.  What an amazing gift. I still get teary eyed when I think about the hours she spent putting it together. Our children have the most wonderful grandparents on both sides.  As much as I worry about raising my children, I don't think I can mess up too badly with their help.  We love them so much.





Everything else that afternoon fell into place. So much good food.  So many good people--though we missed all who were not able to come.  The rain even let up for about an hour and everyone found a place to sit and talk and eat. I was so grateful for all the help--everyone who brought food, tables, chairs, and the time family spent helping in the yard and house the day before.  Thank you.  
And it was all for this cute little man.  He is so loved.

Baby blessing given to David Tracy Frandsen by Jonathan Evans Frandsen on October 13th, 2013:

Our dear Heavenly Father, by the power of the Melchizedek Priesthood we bring this child in our arms to give him a name and a blessing.  The name by which he shall be known is David Tracy Frandsen.

David, you have been named after your grandfathers David and Tracy.  We bless you as you contemplate your namesake that it will buoy you up and give you courage and strength.  We bless you with attributes that are personified in these great men: faith, persistence and charity.

First, Davey, we bless you with faith--that you will see God's hand in your life, that you will recognize God's blessings, that you will be able to turn to him in times of need and receive answers to your prayers.  We bless you that you will be able to discern the promptings of the spirit and let it guide you in your life. We bless you that you will be able to share this faith with others, whether through word or deed, that others may know of the bounteous love God has for us.

Next, David, we bless you with persistence and the ability to work hard--that you will fiercely preside, provide and protect for your future family.  We bless you that as you encounter obstacles in your life that you will see them as an achievable goal, not an immovable object.

Next David, we bless you with charity. We bless you that you will be able to develop loving and meaningful relationships with those with whom you associate, that these relationships will serve as a source of strength for you throughout your life. 

David, we bless you with health that you will meet all developmental milestones and that as you mature you will reap the benefits of obeying the word of wisdom: that you will run and not be weary and walk and not be faint.

David, you are a very patient baby.  We are so blessed to have you in our family.  You have two older brothers who love you so much.  We bless you that you will develop loving, eternal relationships with them and that these relationships will support you throughout your life and throughout eternity.  David, there are so many people, including your parents, who love you and will support you throughout your life.

We say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


1 comment:

TiffT said...

This is the most beautiful post! I cried through most of it! What a beautiful day of happiness and love. Davey looks adorable, the quilt is amazing and I LOVE the picture with both grandpas! Just beautiful!