Monday, October 07, 2013

Growing Up

There is something about having a baby in my arms that makes me want to write. My little Davey is growing too fast--I see it every morning when we turn on the lights and I wonder what happened to my baby in the middle of the night. (You think I would know, since I'm up most of the night with him). I must have magic milk.

But it's not just Davey. JJ's limbs are stretching out like weeds. And Aaron...well, see for yourself:
THIS is Atrain's kindergarten picture. If it doesn't make you giggle, you're not looking closely enough. I'm really not sure how he managed such a smile. His tongue must be lodged firmly between his lower teeth and lip, causing his grin to expose upper gums rather than his pearly whites.  And his hair? Really, it's just the best kindergarten picture ever.

This guy is growing up...and he's pretty happy about it. Now-a-days he uses phrases like "what the!?!" to express surprise. He's sillier than normal, enjoying opportunities to make us laugh. In times of need he is more helpful, often cleaning up huge messes by himself. And in times of conflict he is all the more stubborn and sensitive, "you're hurting my feelings!" is a phrase that is killing me lately. It cuts into my 'guilty mom' complex, even if my disciplinary approach was totally appropriate.  

Also, Aaron has developed a sort of grown-up swag about his posture. He frequently folds his arms while listening to a conversation, or puts his hands in his pockets--both totally new behaviors.  Then all of the sudden, when things get lively (as they often do around little boys) he pulls his hands up into running position, runs in place as fast as he can for a moment as if he's winding up his leg muscles, then darts off to his destination.  

Tonight we went to see the witches at Gardner Village and he was so fun to watch with the older boys saying, "what the!," occasionally puffing out his chest, and--of course--running as fast as he can from one place to the next.  JJ, in his sweet JJ manner, picked his person--lucky Aunt Amy--and stuck with her most of the night.  And Davey was doted upon by all the cousins as I snuggled him in my arms.

Yes, we are all growing up--including me.  These boys teach me every day. I'm growing gray hairs to prove it.

1 comment:

TiffT said...

LOL! Best Kindergarten Picture ever! Too cute! Love reading your sweet thoughts friend!