Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tennessee Trails

I laid on the screened in porch today and let the sun shut my eyes.  It felt heavenly to swing gently back and forth.  Books I intended to read nestled near my head, and the boys ran circles around me on the porch, playing "Sir Topham Hat Says," and occasionally snuggling in for a hug at my side.  Every now and then Aaron would come over and talk to my tummy, "Baby!!! He says in a low, sweet tone."  He understands there is a little one growing there.  When I'm walking around the house he'll attempt to softly pinch my midsection and "hold the baby's hand."  He loves being a big brother.

JJ and Aaron have been playing baby all week.  They mumble in baby tones, cooing, crawling and pulling on my pants.  Cute as the "game" is, it can also be rather annoying when I don't have any big boys around the house to walk/talk/feed themselves.  But they are cute boys.  JJ manages to pull off a more innocent, believable baby...probably because it's just cute to hear a two year old attempt "baby talk," and it can be a bit annoying when your five year old refuses to admit that he can talk.  But, it's all for the sake of celebrating a new baby.  And I'm so happy my boys are excited.  Aaron won't let the little one in my tummy forget that, "you will come out in August!"  This will be a big year.

We came back from a little trip to Tennessee this weekend.  Jonny's work sponsored a little resident getaway to Gatlinburg, so we skipped off to Parton country for a family getaway.  The Smokey Mountains are mysteriously beautiful.  Sometimes it felt like we were floating above the clouds as we drove up, down and around to our cabin.  Other times, it felt like a moon-shine drunken Hillbilly would pop out from behind a tree with his shot gun...or banjo in tow.  Either way, it was awesome.  Jonny rode to the top of Clingman's Dome on Saturday while I elbowed my way through Ripley's aquarium crowds (like a champ) with the boys that afternoon.  We celebrated with our second night out to eat at Olive Garden, plus dessert.  The boys settled into bed easily (bribed by Jonny to forget about the bears) and we got to stay up and introduce his fellow residents to "word on the street."  My team won.  The game was a success.

BTW, I brought our big awesome camera.  And I didn't take a single shot with it.  Nope, not one.  I hate forgetting...or admitting that I might have been too lazy to remember.  Darn.

Other notable events from the week include: swim FHE night, where Aaron started diving under water...on his own.  He's awesome.  JJ does the cutest darn motor boat and I nearly convinced him to poke his belly button up out of the water for some back float time.  After we left the pool, I threw my extra set of keys in the swim bag and "lost" them.  The irony of the loss was that Jonny locked himself out of his car at a gas station and I had to make a choice between going home to look for the keys, or buy the supplies to break into his car.  Having only one hour (between an appointment for Aaron and a doctors appointment for me), I opted for the later choice, and Jonny promised to "never doubt me again" as I rescued his keys.  I felt like wonder woman.  I love it when I feel like that.

I'm planning on being wonder woman this weekend.  I will brave the trip to Utah with both kids, as much luggage as I (and BOB the stroller) can carry.  And, I'm going via the Atlanta airport.  It will be quite the day.  But, I'll make it.  Because sometimes I can summon super powers.  

It is time to snuggle with Jonny.  He was the hero of the week--cooking dinner twice, giving me tons of "time away:" a day to write, a book club night and moments here and there to collect and refocus.  Life is good.  It is not perfect, but I am so blessed to live an imperfect life with him.  

No comments: