Wednesday, February 13, 2013

High Five

Our first baby is now five.  And proud of it.  I don't blame him.  Nope.  Not one little bit.  He has a lot to be proud of.  And so do I.
For starters, he has a crush.  She's a cute, spunky little thing.  They met in class.  He said he's going to marry her.  She even came to his five year old birthday party...and gave him ten dollars.  Wow. He was pretty excited--enough that he chose her to be first for the cupcake table at his classroom party celebrations. (Funny thing is, when I asked him why he chose her, he said, "cause she gave me ten dollars."  At least he's honest.)
 Here's cute little Allie, playing "Sir Topham Hat Says," and everyone did just as she said.  Jonny also played the role nicely.  The kids loved doing lunges, or anything else that 9 year old Seth Tolman did to showcase his athletic skills. (He's Aaron's role model).
Aaron had his party the Saturday before his birthday.  We couldn't have asked for a better day--the sun was shining, the kids came, and we pulled off a "Birthday Express" train party he was pretty proud of.  At least, he seemed pleased.
Aaron was proud that he blew out all of his birthday candles by himself.  And there were quite a few more than five because of the "H-A-P-P-Y B-I-R-T-H-D-A-Y" candles stuck into each of the cupcake train cars.
 The night before February 13th, Jonny asked me to tell the Aaron birth story.  The boys listened carefully, and then pretended to be babies as I tucked each of them in bed while I sang their baby lullabys.  They went right to sleep, then awoke the next morning early enough to pound chocolate chip pancakes before rushing off to school.  He got to open one present before school: it was Spencer, one of the trains he'd pleaded for for about two months.  That, and some sweet Nike shoes from Jonny. They are sweet--blue soles and fancy side Nike design.  Jonny was so excited to give them to him.  He wore them proudly to school that day.
Aaron knew he would soon see us at school that day.  In fact, just before we ran out the door he said, "Don't forget the treat bags for my friends!"  I was confused, being a first time cup-cake bringing birthday mom and all.  "Yeah," he said, "You have to bring a treat bag for each of my school friends."  I didn't think this was a necessary birthday element, not to mention the fact that I was unprepared for such an expectation.  The difficult thing about five year olds, I'm learning, is that they have expectations...and I have to decide which of them to fulfill and which of them to forego.  I told Aaron that I wasn't going to bring bags, that it was "too much" and "wouldn't he rather use the money for something else on his birthday" and other such explanations.  He melted into disappointment and said he would most certainly not rather use the money for another birthday thing for him. I was torn.  It was a worthy desire...so JJ and I hustled to the dollar store to splurge on last minute bday bag surprises.  It totaled 6 dollars...and when I watched him hand out each bag to each of his 24 friends at school, I understood why it was so important.  He is loves being a good friend.  
After his school party, the day was not over.  Aaron insisted on going home immediately to play with his Spencer train and await Jonny's arrival from work--the moment he could open the rest of his presents.
 Jonny finally came and a happy scene ensued.  JJ gave Aaron the Emily train he asked for (after about two months of carefully studying his "train map."  I had to find her and spencer on ebay...but that was all he really wanted.  And he was happy).  JJ also gave him "Whiff" and "Rosie."  Once the trains were opened, I gave him my gift, a pair of "heeleys" I thrifted, and a "super cars" book.  The gifts were a success, and Aaron was ecstatic with birthday joy.  We called Nana, Grandpa and Grandpatty/Pappy and opened their gifts too.  We have such caring family.  Aaron loves them all so much.
Then, there was a birthday surprise in store.  After a little research, I found an indoor bounce house just 40 minutes away. The boys loved it--Jonny included.  I loved it too.  It's just fun to climb all over blow up slides and tumble wrecklessly down things without getting hurt.  Especially when you're the only ones there.  And, we were.  JJ even climbed to the top of the biggest bouncer and slid down on his own.  He was pretty darn proud of himself.  We decided to go back again some day.
 Finally, the night ended at Olive Garden--a dinning first for Aaron and JJ.  I suspected they would love it, and indeed they did.  Aaron and JJ snarfed the breadsticks and mac n cheese.  I shoveled down my amazing pasta with delight, and Jonny punished himself with a salad (biking season has begun).  Good thing their salad is enjoyable.  The best part of it was just being there together with my boys, and seeing Aaron's special smile glued to his face.  A stranger from the next table leaned over to us and said, "It's such a blessing to see a happy family like yours."  I feel so blessed to have them.

Aaron knew the whole day was all for him, even the comp doughnuts our waiter brought to the table for a birthday treat.  I was so glad he felt special.  He should, after all. He is a special boy.  When we got home, I did a quick job of decorating a train cake, and we sang "Happy Birthday" with gusto.  It was such a good day, I almost didn't want to see Aaron blow out the candles and end it all.  But he did, and he did it well.  Five will be a good year.

2 comments:

TiffT said...

I can't believe he is 5! Are we really getting that old?!? Crazy! He is absolutely adorable and it looks like he had the best birthday thanks to an amazing mom!

Amy F said...

Just spent my morning getting caught up on your blog. Glad you are recording these special times. And it makes me so excited to have your sweet family close again!