Sunday, November 04, 2012

Boo-yeah

All my boys are sleeping.  I'm up late, working on a few projects involving pictures of family.  These kind of projects remind me how good it is to continue journaling.  I love the peace, clarity and motivation the flows from personal reflection.  It's a good life.
This was a week began in a confused, stupified state of worry.  I sent Jonny off to present at the ASTRO (rad onc) conference in Boston, MA, just in time for hurricane Sandy to rip up the northeastern coast.  From my catastrophic-news-viewing perspective, I thought it simply ridiculous that the conference continued on through the storm...and that Jonny insisted that it would be alright.  Well, it was ridiculous, and he was alright in the end, but the whole ordeal was a complete wash.  His poster session got cancelled and he ended up being cooped in a hotel room watching netflix for the majority of the trip.  I spent three days in distress, rather unable to focus, just wishing I were with him.  Silly, I know.  But worst case scenario, at least he wouldn't die alone.  We were lucky.  The worst it came to was a lot of delayed flights, and when it was finally determined that he would miss Halloween, he jumped into a rental car and drove from MA to SC in one foul swoop.  What a dad.

Halloween was super.  There's nothing more super than watching your kiddos take on the power and persona of the hero they're wearing.  Aaron was Batman: dark and mysterious, sneaking all about and pouncing when you're not looking.  JJ was the red power ranger: generally adorable and extremely hugable when he "flexes" his mussles.  Jonny was the Hulk--the perfect wrestling companion for Batman.  And, I made a meger attempt at Mrs. Captain America.  We trick-or-treated to our neighbors (who asked if we would be coming by this year...Sunward path normally doesn't have trick or treaters).  The boys were super spoiled at Lisa's house, who gave them a bag full of sugar cookies and suckers--each.  We also stopped by a family Jonny home teaches and then made our last stop in the neighborhood of a few ward members.  Aaron found Spencer Kitchen, aka "the ninja" and they happily battled it out on the streets all night long.  Aaron even ditched his mask and cape toward the end so that he too could be a ninja.  

Trick or treating was a total success for JJ.  He loves candy.  Have I mentioned that he is my nerd-eating buddy?  Yes, he and I bond over packages of nerds on occasion.  And, I love it.  He's also pretty eager to try new candies.  Therefore, his bucket became a prized possession for the rest of the week.  I normally kept them on the top of the fridge and only let them down on occasion each day--brushing their teeth after their candy binge.  But JJ hated it when his bucket had to go back up to its spot on top.  He screamed and cried and pleaded, "My bucket!  My bucket!!!  Get down my bucket!!"  He even had a nightmare, screaming that "Aaron stole my bucket!"  We brushed their teeth a few extra times every day this week.  Oh, JJ.  What a cute little candy addict you are.
Thursday came with an impromptu canoe ride to the Anchor park.  I bet it's about a two and a half mile trip--by water--to the park.  But, the boys and I bundled up in life jackets and braved the waters.  Aaron paddled on front and I pushed from behind.  JJ had a stick that he stuck in the water every now and then, but was mostly a happy rider.  The best part of the whole adventure was when Jonny met us at the park, and decided to ditch his car and ride the canoe home with us.  We retrieved his car later that night, but we had a blast paddling and singing and teasing each other on the open water.  Aaron is an accomplished little paddler--and very protective of his position at the front of the boat.  He also gets a little worried when the canoe isn't pointing exactly strait toward our destination.  I told him that as we're moving forward, we're doing great.   

Friday was another call night.  The boys and I spent it scavenging at the local goodwill.  I found many great treasures, and a renewed desire for fashionable thrifting.  There's something magical about buying a cute shirt for one dollar.  By way of celebrating my finds, I wore a completely thrifted outfit to church today.  I'm not sure if it was fashionable, but I liked it.  And that's what counts, right?  Also, Aaron found a sweet pair of running shoes that made him fly down the aisles while we were there.  He also almost slept in them.  Three dollar joys, right there.  Lovely.































We had a second chance to show our festive spooky spirits at the ward Halloween party, held on the third day of November.  It was a costume party, and even though it seemed that most of the ward had already put away their dress up box, I was ready with a last-minute bride of Frankenstein costume.  The bottle-in-hair "troll" hairdo lives on.  It made my boys laugh with joy when they saw me, so I went with it.  I was slightly embarrassed to see that I was one of the only adults at the well-attended ward function who dressed up.  Sure, Jonny wore the Captain America mask, but even he got shy and took it off.  But, baby powder coating my hair, I was fully committed.  I intimidated and confused a few older gentlemen in the ward, one said, "as if you weren't tall enough already!"  Most laughed, and I think I made a few more friends.  The night ended with the best darn greased pig wrestling match I've ever seen.  That's how they do it in the south.

Today was a fabulous Sunday.  Jonny filled in at the organ and for the ward choir pianist, which means I got to rehearse with him during Sunday school.  I turn pages and sing along and love every second I get to sit by Jonny on the piano.  I married a talented man.  That's obvious, but as much as I love hearing him sing and play this and that, I love just being around him more than anything.  He is so easy to be with.  Such a good person, and loving husband.  I am a lucky lady.

No comments: