Monday, June 18, 2012

Love Story

A few weeks ago I was part of one of the most extraordinary events: the birth of my nephew, Landon Kyle Shelley.  My sweet little sister, Kaitlyn asked if I would come help with delivery, and I felt so special to be a part of this moment.  For me, it was second only to having my own children.
Poor Kaitlyn was in labor for over 36 hours.  It was a marathon delivery...chugging on centimeter by centimeter.  I got to do a lot of coaching, a little advice giving, a little crocheting, and a lot of observing.  Kaitlyn bore the pain with patience and kept the ultrasound picture of Landon pinned to Kyle's shirt to look for inspiration.
There was pain...waiting...more pain...even more waiting...position changes...more waiting...an epidural...more waiting...nervous breakdowns, encouragement and more waiting.  Kyle was an incredibly compassionate husband.  I was a good cheerleader (I think the doctor even scoffed at my enthusiasm, but Kaity seemed to appreciate it).  And, mom was a great coach.  After two hours of pushing, slowly and surely Landon made his way to us.
It was the most incredible moment I have ever witnessed.  Having been in the birth canal for so long, Landon had to go strait to the nurses to get "pinked up."  And Kyle went strait to Kaitlyn.
Tears flood my eyes when I look at this picture: the birth of their child, the beginning of their family, the most beautiful love story.
Landon was a bit upset, but who wouldn't be after such a traumatic event.
In spite of all that came before his arrival, inexplicable peace and joy filled the room when he entered.

I felt so honored to be there--to play a small role in the birth of my nephew.  It was an experience I shall never forget.


1 comment:

Amy F said...

This is tender. Glad you were there.