Sunday, February 28, 2010

Royal Confessions

I have an adult sized sleeping beauty dress. It was made for me in High School when I played the part in a "Disney Review" musical. I also have a crown that Spanish Fork City gave me to wear for a year after a little pageant I was in. Most people aren't aware that I own either item, or the history behind them, and I don't volunteer the information because: A) it's much to easy to be stereotyped when you own a crown and princess dress; and B) people might ask you to put on both and request that you pretend to be a princess. That's what happened this weekend.
I have my beautiful (seriously, isn't she beautiful) mother in law, who takes on multiple civic duties with great poise and passion, to thank for this one. When the real princess the SF library asked (a young, vibrant high school girl) to be at the party bailed, my mother in law suggested that they ask me. I'm not holding it against her--how could I? She is a woman who I aspire to be like in so many ways, and she would have done it.
So, there I was...getting ready for a ball that I felt too old and motherly to attend, preparing a "speech" about how to be a princess. I roped my much younger, more beautiful and talented little sister into the scene for comfort and support. She was fabulous. We rehearsed our skit and were presented before a gathering of the cutest little princesses in town.
Per request of my sister-in-law Amy, here is the outline of what I said:

How to be a Princess:

Hello your royal highnesses. I am so happy that you invited me to your party! I can’t wait to get to know you and share our princess stories. Do you remember th that I (Sleeping Beauty) didn’t know I was a princess until my 16th birthday? And here there were a lot of things to remember! I was lucky that I had my mother to help me me learn Princess manners. Would you like to know what she taught me?

Princess “tea party” Manners:

a. Stand and sit up strait

b. Speak kindly, always using the magic words (please, thank you and your welcome) and never talk with your mouth full.

c. Use your napkin and utensils

d. Take turns listening and talking with friends and family.

I also had a few friends who showed me how to act like a princess. I am so thankful for their good examples and I’m trying to be more like them. Do you know know any of my friends? Would you like me to tell you what I learned from them?

Jasime’s example: Honesty

a. What did Jasmine tell Alladin when he was pretending to be someone else? He wanted him to tell her the truth.

b. Always be yourself.

SnoJ Snow White's Example: Service

a. Serve your friends and family: cleaning the Dwarf’s home

b. Helping them clean up for dinner.

Ci Cinderella’s example: Kindness

a. Always be kind to others, even if they aren’t kind to you.

b. Do your chores and don’t complain.

Belle’s example: Knowledge

a. What was Belle’s favorite room in the whole castle? The library. She loved to read and she knew not to judge others by their appearance.

a. Princesses come in all colors, shapes and sizes. It doesn’t matter what you look like—the most important thing about being a princess is believing in yourself and in your dreams.

b. My song: Once upon a dream: always keep your dreams alive in what you do and work hard to see them come true.

I ha I had a great time. Aside from all of the princess festivities, I'd have to say the most memorable part was taking a stroll to Barry's between parties (there were two sessions) to grab a bite to eat. It was was sweet to meet and take pictures with all of the little princesses at the party. They were ador adorable and made me remember (for a few minutes) what it felt like to be a princess.

12 comments:

Old Main Photography said...

I loved this post, Mel, you are so funny! What a great opportunity for these cute little neices to get to see you and Allie as the princesses you are. :) You both were so adorable. Way to fulfill your civic duties.

The "Ill" post was awesome, too. Thanks for sharing such meaningful and personal stuff. Aaron talks so well! We love you guys.

Scottie and Tasha said...

I can't imagine anyone better at the part than you! You look just like Sleeping Beauty!

TiffT said...

Mel, you still make the most beautiful princess!! It looks like you had a great time and it turned out well! I can't believe how old Allison looks! She is adorable. Man how time flies! :)

Jill T said...

Sounds like a fun day. This princess business could be profitable for you! :) I like that you have an adult size princess gown!

Melissa Stringham said...

Melinda - You look like a real princess! I'll bet you could make some good money doing birthday parties or working at Disneyland. I loved your speech too.

Cormorant said...

That is so great, Mel. You're such a queen! ;) Miss you, and great job.

FPrince said...

Oh I loved to read this! You are a beautiful real-life Princess/Mom. Yea! I really liked how you used the Disney Princesses to teach some lessons. Very smart!

Nick and Amera said...

wow, I LOVED this post! can I hire you on Lavi's birthday in the future??? You make the perfect pricness.. you should try and get a job at disney land, they'd LOVE you! Goes to show how beautiful you seriously are!!! the job fits you perfectly and your personality is perfect for it as well!

Michelle said...

Hi Melinda,

I found your blog through your sister Kaitlyn. She and I are good friends from high school and she also worked with my husband at Seagull Book. I was wondering if you could help answer some questions I have. My husband will be starting medical school at the U in August and we are trying to figure out how to secure good housing. I was talking with Kaitlyn awhile ago and she mentioned that your husband is studying there and so I am approaching you, a resident expert :D, hoping you can answer a few questions I have:

-How did you find housing? I know the school has a website but is that the best way?
-Is there a place that most medical school students live?
-Is there an organization for the spouses of students that gets together regularly? I would love to get to know other wives.
-Are there many families with children? (We have a nine month old daughter)

I think that is all the questions I have. Thanks so much for any help and advice you can give me, especially since you don't know me! My husband has told me a few things to expect that he has heard from a few of the current students but I thought it would be nice to get another wife's perspective :D

You can reply to my email address
m.lira.chestnut@gmail.com

Thanks again for all your help!

-Michelle

Elise said...

What a beautiful dress! You look just like a princess! :)

Dad (TMF) said...

The king is so pleased with the Princesses.

C, J, T, and M said...

Okay...how freakin cute are you.