Wednesday, December 02, 2009

26, 47 and 23
As you already know, my handsome husband turned 26 a week ago. He felt a little uneasy about climbing into the later half of his twenties. We are getting older. I'm just thankful we get to spend all our years growing older together. Even though he thinks that basketball is a romantic date, I am honestly the luckiest wife around.
Here is the nearly turkey baby with his turkey cake. We gobbled it.
And another b-day cake, though it was more inspirational than celebratory. Only 8 months to go until "nails" that dreaded exam (the boards...get it? haha). Go Jonny go!
And, go cougars go. We went to the BYU v. Airforce game on his bday weekend with Aaron--treated by Grandpatty and Pappy. Aaron snuggled up on Grandpappy's lap, then went exploring with Patty and came back with this sweet football. Who wouldn't give him a football when he pulls a face like that?
Jonny shares his bday with my mom, who (believe it or not), turned 47. I figure that it's alright to tell her age when it's more complimentary than embarrassing. No one believes that she is my mom. When we are standing next to each other in the mirror it's also hard for me to believe. But the wisdom in her years is obvious in her conversations, interactions and testimony of Jesus Christ. Nonetheless, in honor of her apparent youth, I made her a doll cake for her bday. He helped:
And he loved it!
Then, my mom helped me make a Christmas tree. What would I do without this woman... ...and all of the other incredible women who helped me on decoration day at the Festival of Trees. Jonny's mom took Aaron for the entire day and Amy came for hours to feed us, inspire us and place ornaments. Bean dip never tasted so good! My mom and I had a sleep over the night before, woke early and came home late after a long day of decorating. And, when we were literally getting into the car to leave (exhausted) my mom hopped back out of the car to help a struggling woman carry a tree back into the expo center. That's just the kind of lady she is. I hope I can become more like her.
I was in charge of the Medical Student Alliance's tree for the Festival. My biggest mistake was not getting firm commitments from fellow MSAers to decorate that day. So many incredible and incredibly busy women are part of MSA and I should have asked specific people for help rather than sent out emails for volunteers. Decoration day was an incredible experience and I should have personally invited more people to take part of it that day.
Every year MSA does a doctor themed tree. The theme for this tree was "Heavenly Healers" to honor the medical and nonmedical professionals working at Primary Children's Hospital to help "our angels." As I put together the idea and collected ornaments I kept the doctors in mind who took part in Aaron's surgery. Every day I thank God for the gift they gave to Aaron and our family. They had a profound impact on our family this year that will be a part of us forever. I was brought to tears a couple of times as I took little breaks to wander around the festival. Families gathered, displaying pictures of their young ones who had passed on as they decorated a tree for them. I cried as I read their stories and admired their strength. As commercial as Christmas can be, the glitz and glam of the Festival didn't bother me after I watched these families gather to create a beautiful tree in honor their loved ones.
We took Aaron to see "mommy's tree" today and it was adorable and absolutely hilarious. Every time we came back to it he said "mommy's tree," and he admired the porcelain angels. The funniest thing was watching him oogle over an incredibly large and sparkly Santa Clause display. He started shouting "oh, oh, oh!" as he darted excitedly from one thing to another, running his hand along the chain then pausing briefly at displays that caught his eye (usually cars, santa, the Baby Jesus or trains). He then talked about the big ho ho ho and mouse and mommy's tree and Paul and Amy (who accompanied us today) all day long. Already I'm finding it challenging to emphasize Christ over Santa Clause with all of the commercial hoopla. We ask Aaron what Christmas is all about and his answers alternate between "Jesus" and "hohoho." It's cute, really. I know he's not even two and I'm not worried, but my emphasis with him shapes my attitude toward the the Christmas season. Any ideas? Only 23 days to go!....

13 comments:

Natalie said...

The tree looks amazing. You did a great job. Sorry I was not more help!

Semi Granola Mom said...

Lots and lots of nativities, from the deseret book kid friendly ones to little people's set, my kids love to play with them and helps reinforce the fact that Christmas is about Jesus.

~C

TiffT said...

Mel! I don't know where to start! I loved both the cakes! You amaze me with your never ending talents! There is seriously nothing you can't do! I LOVE your Mom! Isn't life wonderful with Mom's around to help at the drop of a hat! She is great! And your tree turned out AMAZING!!! I love it! I can't wait to see it up close and personal tomorrow! What an exciting experience! I love you friend we'll chat soon! :)

libby said...

that tree is AMAZING. I need to hire you as my personal decoration. hmmm... I think I will. :)

Amy F said...

Mel... lots of happy events! You were a perfectly doting wife for Jonny's bday... a wonderfully thoughtful daughter for your mother's bday... and a heartfelt master of the Festival of Trees!! It was so fun to work on the tree with you--your vision of what you wanted to portray came out beautifully.

I, too, had tears come to my eyes many times as I wandered around the Sandy expo center, realizing the true charity and hope that inspired the decorators of the trees. It always sounded a tad bit hokey before, but after participating a bit... I get it.

Thanks for letting me be a part. And our kids loved seeing Aaron's excitement. He is such a fun little man.

Oh, and I LOVE the picture of him licking the spatula!

Stephen said...

i love everything here.

Cristi & McKay Morley said...

Your tree looks gorgeous, your cakes were amazing, you are just an amazing person and I love reading your posts!

paul said...

great work melinda! It's been a busy few weeks for you... Thanks for letting us be along for the ride :)

FPrince said...

I love the Festival, too. I'm sorry we missed it this year. I've never had to gumption to even dream of putting a tree together, though. It looks beautiful and I hope it was rewarding for you! Merry Christmas! I really need your address...

Meg said...

Melinda, your tree was so beautiful! My grandmother actually started the festival of trees years ago and I love to see what it has become today! What a fun experience!

Cormorant said...

That looks so great! We went to the Festival and I think I remember your tree! I'm totally impressed.

Dad (TMF) said...

Glad our tree sold!

jennifer.m.isaac@gmail.com said...

It was a wonderful memory to have been able to help you honey...I am honored that you wanted my help. You were the creative genius behind the whole thing...I just helped you throw the ornaments on! :) Thank you for the pretty barbie doll cake. I will always remember the time, effort and especially the meaning that went into it. Aaron is amazing. He is such a beautiful boy in every way. You and Jonny are doing such a wonderful job. : )