Monday, October 05, 2009

Fish Lake
High in Utah's mountain hills lies a cold, quaint little lake known as Fish Lake. It is also known by my family as the home of "the big one," the world's largest population of endangered snipes and the slou foot rock. Last weekend we gathered there (as we have in past years) to watch conference, make a few memories and catch a few fish.
I love the Fish Lake Marina. I have so many young memories wrapped up in its rotting boats, dead fish and mossy lava rocks. I wish I had had more time to explore it with my camera, but Aaron had his own agenda: rock-chucking. And, there were a lot of great rock-chucking locations for him to choose from.His favorite was the shoreline with plenty of mud and pebbles for him to sink his fingers into. All of the other boys joined in the fun, skipping the flat stones across the frigid water.Aaron also enjoyed sitting on the rocks--especially with his Dada. He walked all the way down from the cabin holding Jonny's finger, stopped here and said, "Dadda...down" as he pointed at the rocks.
He found other favorite sitting spots with his cousins. Eva and Aaron would pace up and down the sidewalk using their "Mermaid language," blowing raspberries in different tones at one another. Aaron wasn't quite sure about sitting on the boat. It was cold, it rocked, and worst of all, mom and dad wouldn't let him take the constricting life jacket off. By the end of our attempted fishing expedition, his screams of disapproval let us know that he preferred the shore.But my dad sure preferred the lake. He happily carted load after load of amateur fishermen onto the lake. What a good sport and grandpa. Nanna preferred the cabin, minus the occasional photo-opt with the grandkids (what a good nanna). But who can blame her? She had to defend her disputed queen of the board games title...a role that I soon ransacked, muahaha.But even with the draw of a cozy wood burning fireplace, conference talks, food and cousins, Aaron still preferred the cold outdoors. Once the cabin door swung open, Aaron made a run for it, sans shoes and coat. I spent much of the sessions sitting on the door ledge, listening to our leaders as I watched Aaron revel in his rock-chucking.
At least his interest in rocks made for a cute family picture or two.

12 comments:

Jessica GaleForce said...

Looks like you had a great conference! Man, Aaron is growing up so quick. I remember when I saw you in Macey's and he was just little little. I remember the "hey, how are ya's?" that are common with seeing someone from your past. I told you that we had been trying but couldn't have any children. You were so kind to me. I was secretly a bit jealous that your life seemed to be going just the way you wanted it, just as it did with everyone else. You had a little family that seemed to be perfect. We went our separate ways, little did I know what trials you were struggling with. About a year later I think I started following your blog. I learned a BIG lesson from you. Things are not always what they seems. And we all have trials of fire to walk through. Whilst I was suffering from my trial of no children, you were suffering from taking care of a child that was crippled in faculty. I believe now that we can learn so much more from reflectance and pondering life's experiences. You taught me a very big lesson in life.

Thank you Mel!

Meg said...

You always take such great pictures! What kind of camera do you have? Love love your new header picture!

Semi Granola Mom said...

He is getting so big, isn't it so sad? Our little men will be big men before we know it :( Atleast they only get handsom-er as they get older ;)

~C

TiffT said...

Melinda Jill! How fun! I always love hearing your stories from Fish Lake! So fun! I can't believe how big Aaron is getting and how adorable he is! I LOVE the new family picture! Adorable! I love you all! We need to get together soon! :)

Cristi & McKay Morley said...

Looks like you had a great conference weekend. I also would like to know what kind of camera you have, your pictures are amazing!

Amber said...

Hey sis! That was such a fun weekend!! And you really are the new queen of the board games, just not "undisputed" yet, ha ha! ;) Love ya!

Dani said...

How funny- we were there that weekend too. We always go in the fall to our cabin to watch conference. And- we were throwing rocks too. I wish we would have seen you guys

Amy F said...

You didn't tell me about your new title! So modest!! We need some board game action with the Frandsen family... mwahaha...

It is so fun to see Aaron enjoy the simple joys of life... chucking rocks is definitely one of them!

Kandas said...

How fun!! I am loving all these pictures with scarfs, hats and jackets!

Dad (TMF) said...

I must take you on as the 'king' of the board games.

paul said...

good times...

FPrince said...

There is no way that Aaron is this big already. Oh my! What a lovely family. We love you!