Croup
What an ugly word to be associated with such a cute baby. Aaron woke up at midnight making a barking noise when he cried. We were worried. We rushed in and retrieved him--no fever, just a flemy wheeze to his breathing that left him gasping for air when he got upset. Jonny and I looked at each other as we heard him cough and cringed. His surgery is twelve days away and we have quarantined him from all the regular activities that would have put him in contact with illness--church, the Discovery Museum, playgroups, and (just over the weekend) shopping. Maybe the wives-tale about apartment ventilation systems holds some weight. We took him to the ER this morning and the doctors confirmed our fears: croup. He should recover in time, but until then, lots of cold air, steamy showers, water and prayers. Please keep him in yours.
14 comments:
So sorry! We will definitely pray that he will get better before his surgery.
Hannah started the barking cough just today, it is miserable.
Get better Aaron!
OH NO!!! That is definatly too bad for such a cute little baby!!! Im so sorry. We've had our share of the croupe.....i know it sounds weird, but when he gets coughing like that wrap him up in a blanket and take him outside into the cold air. Believe it or not it breaks up the cough and the congestion.....I know it sounds weird, but I promise it works! I hope thigns get better before his big day. Melinda, you leave the nicest comments on my blog, thankyou!! You are such a thoughtful and loving friend, thankyou for your friendship! We sure love you guys and only hope for the best. Gotta love the apartment life ventilation crap....we deal with it too..... You guys are great, I just love ya so much melinda! I miss you!!
I have a special place in my heart for sign language, implants, and deaf people all round since I took ASL for 6 years! So of course Aaron is in our prayers!
And I have decided one needs a baby in order to make a blog truly interesting!
Poor thing! He will definitely be in our prayers!
So sorry to hear that!! The picture really is adorable though! I can't help but smile looking at it even with such sad news.
I'm so sad for you guys! What a rotten time to get such a dreadful sickness.
oh, that face breaks grandpatty's heart. ma
Caleb just had croupe 2 1/2 weeks ago. So scary! But the breathing treatments he got in the ER really cleared away the scary parts. A humidifier is key.
Get better Aaron so all can go well for you!
Stella had croup once while we were in San Francisco. Terrifying. Read about it in an ancient medical dictionary -- that was in the days before the Internet! One remedy was cold fresh air. It worked although we were certain the cold would kill her. It is such a terrible sound for such a wee baby to make.
Good luck with EVERYTHING. I'll try to come back to your blog and read up before I ask more questions. Margo and Nathan are speaking better everyday. Nathan is reading 100% of the time. He asked me a question most 8 year-olds wouldn't need to ask, "Mom? What does 'full of bologna' mean?"
Aaron will do Brilliantly!
Sorry to hear about Aaron's sickness. It is always miserable to see your little one suffer. Best of luck with his upcoming surgery and we will pray for his fast recovery.
Poor little guy! Hope everything goes well with the surgery!
It makes life fun when little kids look at you like that all day!
Bummer. Good luck getting him back to healthy! We hope all goes well on the 2nd. We'll be thinking and praying for you and Aaron.
Melinda! I just found your blog through Libby's and I'm so excited that I did!! We'll be waiting at the computer for updates as Aaron's surgery approaches. We're so happy for you that everything with his implants is working out so well so far and I'm sure this little illness will clear up. Best of luck being Mommy-Nurse.
You can keep up with us, if you want, at tylerandnicolejohansen.blogspot.com!
Post a Comment