Thanksgiving Review
I am thankful for big family gatherings. Sometimes it's hard to pull off, and downright stressful for those hosting the event. But somehow when the focus is on being with the people you love rather than using the finest china, everything is just as it should be. Thanks to Uncle Kelly and Aunt Kathy for selflessly lending their home to the entire Frandsen clan every other year. Cousin Kayli gave up her room for me, Jonny and Aaron this year--an incredible sacrifice for any teenage girl that I'm not sure I would have made. But, Jonny and I would sleep in the "dungeon" any year to get the chance to make a few more Thanksgiving memories.

I'm thankful for plastic carpet overlay, folding chairs and tables, fourty pounds of potatoes, Aaron's adoration of Grandpatty, leftovers, and somebody's mouth-watering sweet-potato recipe. And wowee, the butterscotch pie was a new favorite!

I'm thankful for dads who will do anything to make their babies smile. I couldn't get a clear picture of Paul and Jonny holding their kiddos as they playfully bounced and tickled and pulled faces at Ella and Aaron.

I'm thankful for Uncle Russel's tireless motivation to keep up the Thanksgiving day family soccer game. He transports duffle bags of soccer supplies from California to Utah and invites all who are able to join in the fun. It felt really good when he was disappointed that I wouldn't be playing (with my broken foot still on the mend). I love watching the little ones running on the field and hearing both teams cheer whenever a tiny tyke kicks the ball.

I'm thankful for Uncle Stevie. Maybe revealing this will ruin his NYC hipster edge (sorry Stevie) but in any spare moment he had he shared it with one of his nephews or nieces. What a great uncle. Aaron loves him.

I'm thankful that Grandpatty's locket is attached very well to a chain. Aaron could not be stopped from shoving it into his mouth. It was undoubtedly a sign of affection for the owner of the necklace.

I am thankful for our first Christmas tree, but more so for the return of all tree hunters off of the mountain. Grandpa Frandsen suffered a head injury when his four wheeler rolled and is still in the ICU in Provo. I'm thankful for caring medical professionals, family members who were guided by the Spirit, and an ever-optimistic Great-Grandma Frandsen.

I'm thankful for a mother who selflessly shares her birthday with my husband. Not that she choose to be born on the same day as Jonny, but every year it seems that I end up fumbling over her birthday because of my lopsided attention toward my hubby's b-day.

Mom spontaneously helped me decorate his cake and make the food for his "surprise that didn't end up being a surprise" party and even cleaned up after me so that I could make it on time. All the while I grieved about what a slob of a daughter I am, but she came to my rescue so willingly. She is an unsung hero.

I am thankful that Aaron didn't burn himself on Jonny's candles. He made a few valiant plunges toward the burning cake, but I'm lucky that my mother reflexes kicked into high gear.
I'm thankful for this little gift Aaron gave Jonny for his birthday, and that it hasn't developed into walker-less walking yet. I still need to Aaron proof the cupboards.

Last and best, I'm thankful for my husband who is now a quarter of a century old. Thanks for always keeping me warm when it's cold outside. Thanks for calling me the strangest terms of endearment I have ever heard. Thanks for singing my name. Thanks for loving me.
13 comments:
Love it, love it, love it! Your Thanksgiving sounds so fun and yummy. I love the plastic overlay idea, ingenious! Jonny's cake rocked. If you have that butterscotch pie recipe, you should share it on my food blog at:
http://tastethisliz.blogspot.com/2008/11/blog-post.html
what a cute and sweet post! i love it mel! it made me laugh and feel touched.
You guys are awesome. Great post. Happy Birthday Jonny!
Michael says: That's amazing! I can't believe he's started doing that!
Amy says: I'm thankful for the Jonny and Melinda Frandsen family! We always love spending time with you. Can't wait to be closer to you!!
Looks like a fun cake... and I really love Mel's "NOOOOOOO!" expression to keep Aaron from having sore fingers!
What a fun holiday weekend. I love that picture of your adorable family!! Happy Birthday Jonny... and no worries, I am now a quarter of a century old too!
Is your life bleak?
Well, I try to update once or more a week!
Don't be a bump on log,
Still visit my private blog!!!
Now that my family blog is private, it does not show when I last updated. Please still check us out! If you did not receive an invitation to view my family blog, please email me at lizmthibault@gmail.com
Oh Mel, I love your posts so much! I can't believe how big Aaron is. Can't wait to see you in just a few weeks!!
Thanks for posting thanksgiving pics so I could see what we missed out on!
Jonny and Mel,
It was good to see you at the game! I am glad that we came out victorious! Sounds like life is good for both of you and Aaron, and I am glad! At some point we should talk, I know Sign Language, long story about a friend who was deaf and wanted to learn, anyway I am glad that things are going well, good luck in continous Med school!
we sure enjoyed talking with you two over the weekend...
and did jonny pick out the cute new christmas blog background..?
i'm grateful for melinda. love uncle ron
I am also thankful for my Salt Lake Frandsen children. From the day Jonny was born, the day before Thanksgiving, he was a bright light and he continues to be one. I'm glad he was drawn to your light and together you had Aaron, who is such a ray of sunshine in our family.
What a great picture there at the end. YOu guys are awesome!
Post a Comment