Sunday, November 09, 2008

November Hope
As Aaron and I stare out the window at the fresh November snow I am astonished that I feel myself welcoming the winter season. Usually I cringe as the clouds converge to deliver the year's first substantial snowfall, but as I watch my little boy press his open mouth against the cold glass and giggle as he bounces up and down on his knees I am not as apprehensive as I anticipated.  Here are a few things giving me hope as winter's dreary days descend:

1.  Aaron's adventurous outlook inspires me.  No moment is mundane with him around.  He is so curious and bent on exploring whatever catches his eye.  This morning as we got ready for church he stood on the outside edge of the tub and screeched with excitement as the water rose.  He leaned and pulled and squirmed so much that his feet left the floor.  Trying to climb before you can walk, Aaron?  Oh boy.  I adjusted his crib mattress to the lowest setting tonight before  putting him to bed.  I hope he will at least learn to let us change his diaper without restraint.  But until then, this is Jonny's method: 
2.  What a good dad and husband.  He continues to believe in me and make me believe in myself.

3. Every mother out there who is trying to teach their children to listen, click here for hope. The Listening Room is sponsored by Advanced Bionics, one company that makes cochlear implants, but it's creative language development activities can be used to help every child meet communication milestones. 
4.  I taught a lesson in Relief Society on this general conference talk a couple weeks ago.  Elder Uchtdorf's words and the comments of the women in RS have been lingering in my mind since. 

5.  As I watched CNN's map turn blue I felt, for the first time in my life, both excited about and invested in the future of our Nation. Obama isn't my ideal candidate, but I do think he is the right person for the job.  I hope I'm right.  

6.  Finally, I'm hopeful that someday all my creative costume ideas won't look as homemade. :)  Aaron and Jonny are good sports.  I was so excited for Aaron to be a spider this year for Halloween and had an incredible costume design in my mind, but the end product was less than spectacular.  I guess I get props for trying, right?  Look at cute little Aaron, he didn't seem to mind a bit.  He was just adorable.  Jonny and I are the web (don't worry if you can't tell).  
Best costume award goes to my littlest sister, Allison.  

22 comments:

Liz T. said...

I too look forward to winter. Love the costume. What a beautiful insite this was. Thank you. I will definitely be checking out your link to further my communication skills.

Auger Family said...

I love the diaper changing method! That is so funny. If your not a parent and you were too look at that picture you might think Jonny is doing something very wrong! LOL!! If your a parent and you look at that picture all you do is laugh because you will try anything to make life easier! HA! Love it

Elise said...

I love your costumes! So cute.

Nick and Amera said...

Mel, I cannot believe how amazing of a mother and wife you are! You are so near perfect its almost like you have no room to grow because you dont have to! Your blog is by far one of my favorites to read. ITs about real life and your words express so much love and appreciation for life and family. Aaron is such a doll. That picture of him looking out the window is "wordless" I cant even describe how darling he is. I felt the same way when Coy looked out our window at the snow and I just thought, "what a sight to see for the first time!" I seriuosly think Aaron is too cute for words, he just is!!! You are such a great example of how I hope to be as a mom, thankyou! I miss you lots and hope all is going well up north!!

paul said...

jonny: i'm speechless.

great costumes mel. very impressive.

with kids, life is infused with joy and fullfillment unexperienced before having them around.

Tish said...

good costume idea! cute, plus you get points for it being home-made.

Cormorant said...

Aaron looks adorable! What a big kid he already is! And I love your insight, Mel, as usual.

Amy F said...

Mel... I love your thoughts. And you're right. Having kiddos around creates anticipation you've never experienced before. Wait until Christmas!!!

I've heard about the creative "holdings" for Aaron's diaper changes. But this one takes the cake! Don't know how I feel about Aaron being that familiar with Jonny's back end... but I'm sure he won't be too traumatized.

Love the costumes! Very clever... and your little family looks so great! Major props!

Yikes! Allison!! That is a major makeover. I love her just the way she is.

Kandas said...

I loved this post. I have a hard time when the weather starts to get cold... thanks for reminding me that it isn't that bad!!

I love your Halloween picture. You are such a cute family and I love the idea!

MJ said...

Yeah...maybe I should post a picture like that or people who don't read the post will get the wrong idea. :)

Thanks for your comments everyone. I'm glad the costumes didn't look too bad. I just might try to make them again next year...maybe my sewing skills will be a bit more advanced by then!

Old Main Photography said...

Aww! You didn't like Dina in the kitchen? Yes, Allison's was amazing. She is such a ham. You words are so inspiring, sis. I love reading what you write- you need to have an article in the paper that you write for on a regular basis called, "Life really is good" (or something a little more creative. You can work on the title later.) :) Love ya!

Wendi said...

I think the costumes look great! My mom had to use the same diaper changing technique with my little brother. Whatever works, right?

Amber Hemsley said...

Melinda, it is Amber Cragun from Nephi. Long story... We met our friends brother and sister-in-law about 2 1/2 years ago. Brittany now Redd told me where she grew up and I asked her if she knew you and she said that she cheered with you. My girl friend finally started a blog and that is how I found you. It is so good to see you and your beautiful family. Aaron is so cute! We have a 10 month little girl. My blog is thehemsleys.blogspot.com. When I get around to it I will be going private so if you would like to stay in touch get me your e-mail. By the way I loved the costume, I think it was prety creative.

jennifer.m.isaac@gmail.com said...

cute family!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dad (TMF) said...

Who won the flag football at U of U?

Alecia and Sam said...

Melinda I am so glad you found my blog. I always have things happen that make me think of you and of course wonder how you are doing. Now I have a way to stay caught up. Your little boy is a doll and you look great!! Where are you guys? I am so excited to stay caught up on your life and I think sometime the old crew should get together and do dinner or something. Anyway, I hope all is well and I look forward to your future posts :) take care!!

Cherice said...

Hey you cute girl. I found you on this thing while blog stalking!!! Sorry... I am so glad to see your doing so well. You have such a cute little family. Hey email me at cherice_magleby@hotmail.com so I can add you to my blog, mine is private. Hope to hear from u soon.

Cherice Chryst now Magleby

McKel said...

Amber
Thanks so much for your post, it was so good to hear from. It would be so great to get together. You are amazing mom. Lets keep in touch.
McKel

Keisha said...

Hey Melinda! You have such a cute little family!

McKel said...

Melinda
I wrote Amber on my last comment, and I ment Melinda, sorry I had just seen your sisters facebook and wrote what I say.
McKel

Liz T. said...

Thanks for visiting my humble blog!!!! Hope we do something for Christmas too. I haven't heard anything yet either. I would love to see your cute fam!

Unknown said...

i support those costumes