Signs of the Week
I thought it would be a good idea to start a weekly "signing" series on our blog to help keep everyone up to pace with Aaron's progress and the signs we are using as we communicate with him. We are meeting with a wonderful Audiologist from the School for the Deaf and Blind every other week. She offers a lot of moral support and advises us on the best ways to help Aaron develop properly.
First, a basic update on Aaron. I get a lot of questions from friends, family and strangers, and I love them! Honestly, I would much prefer people ask than just look and wonder, so feel free to ask questions. :) First of all, Aaron's hearing aids are really helping him! His hearing threshold is around 50-60 db (volume level), which means that he is probably hearing the tones and pauses of normal conversation. A normal hearing individual's hearing threshold is about 20 db, so that can give you an idea of how to compare. Deaf babies without amplification will talk in monotone and they won't start and stop to mimic speech. Aaron's baby babbling is great--he is mimicking conversation with his tones and pauses. Many people are surprised that he "talks" as much as he does, and his baby talk really is great. Of course he isn't hearing perfectly, but it's a great improvement and is enabling him to begin associating sound with meaning.
By the time hearing children are one year old they have a vocabulary of about 100 words, meaning that they can usually understand 100 words even if they are only unable to speak most of them. Teaching Aaron basic sign language right now will help him develop a good vocabulary foundation of 100 or more words so that when he receives a cochlear implant he will be able to associate the signs with the new world of sounds he enters. It will hopefully help him ease into the transition to auditory speech and listening as his primary method of communication. When we sign with him now we use a technique called "sandwiching" where we speak the word twice without signing it, then the third time you say it you use the sign as well. We are very expressive when speaking with him, using a lot of intonation. Also, we try to use consistent intonation patterns for certain phrases (like "Hello" or "let's change your diaper") so he recognizes the different tones and can associate those with their meaning as well.
We are learning more than we could have imagined when we began this journey with Aaron, and of course the more we learn the more we realize how much there is to know. A cousin of mine asked me the other day if I ever had a break down when we discovered the degree of Aaron's hearing loss. I hope that our blog readers don't get the idea that we never struggled with the news, because when I look back on these four months most of my memories are filled with innumerable high highs and low lows. But, the journey life is taking us on is certainly helping us be stronger, more patient, closer to God and to each other. Like any trial, it's expanding our capacity to feel and appreciate both sorrow and joy. We love him more than we thought possible and it will be difficult to watch him experience these highs and lows for himself, but I guess that's what being a parent is all about. Aaron is such a strong person; he makes us stronger every day.
So, now it's time to sign. We'll start with a few "baby routine" words. There are signs we use a lot each day.

Hungry:
Play:
Good/Thank You:
The only difference between "good" and "thank you" signs is that when you are thanking someone you motion the entire sign in the direction of that person. Good simply goes down into your hand.
Bad:
The sign for "bad" is similar to good, but your hand is turned over with the palm down in the process of going down.
Sleep:
Car:

Time (sorry, no graphic):
Tap the right index finger on the left wrist, as if tapping a watch. Use this for "it's time to...(eat, sleep, etc)."
Diaper:
The thumbs and index and middle fingers of each hand point down and rest on each hip, as the signer mimes the closing of clips to fasten the diaper.
Hear/Listen: (sorry, no graphic)
To sign "listen" the right hand is placed, slightly cupped, behind the right ear.
Love:

Thanks for learning with us. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
So, now it's time to sign. We'll start with a few "baby routine" words. There are signs we use a lot each day.
Come:
Make the sign for "come" by pointing both index fingers toward each other. Rotate both fingers around one another. Move both hands toward your body.
Make the sign for "come" by pointing both index fingers toward each other. Rotate both fingers around one another. Move both hands toward your body.Go:
Make the sign for "go" by pointing both index fingers toward each other. Rotate both fingers around one another. Move both hands away from your body.
Eat:
Make the sign for "go" by pointing both index fingers toward each other. Rotate both fingers around one another. Move both hands away from your body.

Hungry:

Play:

Good/Thank You:
The only difference between "good" and "thank you" signs is that when you are thanking someone you motion the entire sign in the direction of that person. Good simply goes down into your hand.Bad:
The sign for "bad" is similar to good, but your hand is turned over with the palm down in the process of going down.Sleep:
Car:
Time (sorry, no graphic):
Tap the right index finger on the left wrist, as if tapping a watch. Use this for "it's time to...(eat, sleep, etc)."
Diaper:
The thumbs and index and middle fingers of each hand point down and rest on each hip, as the signer mimes the closing of clips to fasten the diaper.
Hear/Listen: (sorry, no graphic)
To sign "listen" the right hand is placed, slightly cupped, behind the right ear.
Love:

Thanks for learning with us. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
18 comments:
This is great Melinda! Thanks for sharing the signs with us. We would love to all learn with you! Aaron looks like such a happy baby!
It's really interesting the way that baby's learn things, such as through intonation. He is such a cute baby. I love that picture of him with his tongue sticking out. Cute!
Hi Frandsens! This is Ashley (Moon) Bradley. Your little boy is adorable. It was fascinating for me to read this last post. I work in a special ed unit and we use sign language every day! I have learned so much and so I love to see how Aaron is learning! That is great! He is so cute!
50-60 dB...that is great! was it expected that he would be hearing that well with the hearing aids?
Paul, it wasn't expected, but we hoped he would. He is doing well with them, but he is also still in "cochlear implant" territory, which is good. It's a strange paradox because you want the aids to work well, but not too well so that he will still qualify. We're glad he's where he is at.
Good luck in all your endeavors! Sign really is an amazing language and such an incredible talent to have. It really does help communicate with our little ones on such a level that it totally can blow ones mind. It took Jasmin awhile to pick it up, it wasn't until after she was one that she started using it, so we will see if our little man picks it up sooner since seeing other kids sign makes the connections faster and he has his sister to watch. If ever you guys need anything, I know that Jon and I haven't been buds in ages... glory Junior High, and you might remember me, though I doubt it, but I remember when you moved in :) You were in my geography class at sf jh :), but either way, if ever you want to have a playdate or if you have q's about sign, feel free to contact us. (I took about 3 years, and was ceritifed 2 levels here in Utah in ASL, and I grew up with sign influences since I babysat a deaf toddler from the age of 10-14, and my Hubby has only taken one class at UVU but has picked it up pretty well ) SO yes, good luck, and for sure, if ever you need anything, let us know :)
~Clerissa
thanks for the post. love, uncle ron
Mel-
You are such an incredible woman, but really what else could I expect! The Lord truly knows and understands what we can handle. You guys are fantastic parents and things always find a way to work out how they need to!
That is so exciting how much Aaron is growing and learning! We need to get together sometime so our babies can play together. It has been too long!
I don't work at Oakridge but I've heard so much about it. It is amazing how much support there is. I just work at an elementary school in a special ed unit. You have probably heard of the movies Signing Time, but if not I highly recommend them. I love them!
What a cute baby he is!! I love the picture of him sticking out his little tongue! That was such a great post, thanks for sharing! McCoy loves watching signing times here at our house. We have never forced it on him but since the movie has kids in it, he likes to watch it. He picks up on it pretty well, so its fun to use a sign here and there at home! Cute adorable pictures, he is just a cuddly handsome baby! That adorable Aaron will do great at learning because of all of the love and support that he has! Nothing beats the love he gets from his mommy and daddy! Great job you guys! He is so adorable!
I love this post! I first have to say that I loved meeting Aaron. He is even cuter in person and I didn't think that was possible!
I love the sign language lesson. My nephew started signing way before he could talk. I plan on teaching Julia too. It's such an amazing form of communication. You and Jonny are such great parents and I am glad Aaron is doing so well!
Mel thanks for the update... you are such a great mom! I missed seeing you at club... I will for sure be there next time!! Aaron is adorable, I love seeing new pictures!
I love him! He is so cute! I am glad that I got to see him at club, his little hearing aids are so darling! You and Jonny are amazing, you are such wonderful parents! I am glad that Aaron is doing so well, I loved the sign lesson!
Hi this is Cali (Jones) Stanley. I enjoyed reading about Aaron, he is such a cute little guy! He is lucky to have great parents like you guys. :)
Class of 2002 started a blog. Check it out at www.sfhs2002.blogspot.com!
Melinda,
I finally started a blog for dave and I and we found yours through Dan and Elise's blog. Aaron is so darling! It's also really interesting for me to read all about the signs you are learning because I took a few signing classes at BYU and I absolutely loved learning sign language! I hope you guys are having a great summer. Keep us posted. Our blog is daveandmegclark.blogspot.com
This is a great blog. I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!
Post a Comment