Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Baby Bump

A few of my favorite far away people have expressed interest in the evolution of my mid section (Libby the lurker, this one's for you!). Here are a few pictures that show off the blossoming of my baby bump in the past few weeks. The documentation isn't as picturesque or flattering as I would hope, but you get the main idea. :)
When my pregnancy began I took a weekly picture with hopes that someday Jonny Jr. would like to examine his growth within his mother's enlarging abdomen (or at least admire how young I once was). When there wasn't much change in my profile shot from week 11-17 the Sunday picture taking tradition slowed to an every-other Sunday tradition. Bruiser registered in the profile shot around week 19 or 20.
There comes a point in pregnancy when your budding baby bump can be confused with strangely centralized weight gain. It's also that point when you limbo with one leg in maternity pants and one leg in your loosest slacks. This stage came at about week 22 for me and jr. and is manifest in the picture below.
I am normally quite stingy when it comes to buying new clothes. Whether induced by a tight budget, a lack of patience and passion for clothes shopping or being raised by very stylish mother with a very large wardrobe, my closet is usually my last spending priority. One unexpected perk of being married to Jonathan is that he forces me to splurge on my clothing necessities. Don't get me wrong, he has less tolerance than I do for clothes shopping, but when the elastic trick simply wouldn't hold up my pants any longer he said, "I command you to buy maternity pants before I come back from interviews this week." What a great husband. He also bought me my first maternity shirt, modeled at week 23 in the picture below.
Dressing up a blossoming baby bump is quite fun (especially when you have such great family and friends who donate new and used maternity tops to the collection--thank you!). Sporting the empire waist line blouses really gives people the liberty to comment on your growth without worrying whether or not you have a baby in there. I love it when people tell me that I bloomed over night. Little bruiser likes the attention too. His kicks have steadily increased in strength and number and there have been moments when I wish I had the camera to film his "field goal" attempts. Feeling and sometimes watching his tiny body booming around inside of me is nothing short of a miracle.

Here we are at 25 weeks. Only 15ish to go (yikes)!

9 comments:

libby said...

Mel,

It's such a cute baby bump! What a fun time! Only fifteen weeks left?!? That is coming right up! I'm excited I get to see you with only FOUR weeks left... That will be a nice baby bump...

Jill T said...

Oh Melinda. You look so cute! I love that you call the baby bruiser. That's what Steven kept calling Lucas when he was first born. It's a good boy name, don't you think?

Do you need more maternity clothes? I have a few shirts that would probably fit you. I borrowed a lot of stuff too. It's great passing around those maternity clothes. But good for Jonny, for sending you out shopping!

Amy F said...

Melinda... I'm so glad I got to see the baby bump in person! You really are a beautiful pregnant girl! So glad you are taking such good care of bruiser!

I love this update. Hope it is continued by others!

Too bad your mom's wardrobe doesn't include maternity pants anymore, huh??

Jonny, Mel, Aaron said...

Libby-it's crazy to me that Christmas is just around the corner and I will make a pretty good Santa Clause this year. It will be so fun to have you here!

Amy-yes, that was one downside to moving out on my own--no more access to my mother's closet. :)

Jill-Bruiser is a great boy name. :) Dad Frandsen used it in one of the family letters and it has stuck. I just love your little ones. When I think of that evening when Lucas was giggling up a storm I can't wait for our little bruiser to be here. And yes, borrowing maternity clothes has been the best. Thankfully I have a cousin who handed over her wardrobe and a friend at work who was so kind to let me borrow a lot of her pants. It definately eases the burden of new baby expenses!

Jonny, Mel, Aaron said...

by the way, that was Mel, not Jonny who wrote this and the previous comment. :)

Anonymous said...

By the way Jill, we need an invitation to your blog! :) my email address is melifrandsen@gmail.com and jonny's is jonathanfrandsen@gmail.com. I always love your posts!

Dad (TMF) said...

Glad you came up last nite to see the bump in person. And, it made the letter, also.

Cormorant said...

Mel, it's so fun to see your "baby bump" in person at class. Just so everyone knows, she's even cuter in person (I know, hard to imagine)! How are the leg cramps?

The Dahle's said...

mel! this is amber! i love u! u are so cute! i love your expanding belly pictures they made me laugh! i really enjoyed reading ur blog! if u want to check out my blog go to amberbillyconnor.blogspot.com
love ya girl
amber