Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Bring it ON.

I'm staring at our Christmas tree, still lit in all its twinkling glory, wondering how I'm supposed to say goodbye to such an amazing year. I know it's January first and I should be searching the crisp pages of my new calendar with sweet anticipation and fearless resolve. But I'm not quite there yet. My heart is hanging on the past month. And tonight, that's ok.


I don't think we will ever experience a more amazing holiday season. We were on the receiving end of others' generosity.  It's a humbling feeling to acknowledge your own needs and then with no solicitation or expectation have someone fill them. I still cry when I think about the selfless gifts we received this year.  All we wanted for Christmas was help paying for an upgrade for Aaron's cochlear implants.  We received that and so much more.

Two days before Christmas the whole Frandsen extended family gathered in the music room for the annual talent show. We went through the older families and then it was Tracy's family's turn.  We sang an unprepared variation of Silent Night with the kiddos. Aaron had a candy cane wrapper hanging out of his mouth, making the audience giggle.  I gave him my best stink eye, but he kept the wrapper in place, so I quickly snatched it away...which warranted giggles from the parents.  It was a sweet number, nonetheless.

And then it was Jesse's turn.  I had a feeling ever since I sat on the couch alone that night, nursing David.  I felt like he was going to propose.  And that He did.  After a sweet composition he knelt on one knee and asked Hannah to help him make a masterpiece with him. During the whole song I just couldn't stop crying.  Her smile filled the whole room with joy. And gratitude overwhelmed me. My thoughts were drawn back on the year and how far our family came in 2013, how hard we worked and how many times God blessed us unexpectedly.  He doesn't have to, and I'm sure He knows that, but Heaven's windows opened to us this year. From our new home, to our sweet baby Davey, to Jonny's good job, and our good families helping us out every step of the way. Life's not easy and it's surely not all sunshine and rainbows around here, but while I sat there watching Hannah's future and choices unfold before her, I couldn't help but thank God for His hand in my life--the choices we've made and how He has been with us through it all.

Christmas morning was sweet and simple.  The boys were showered with trains and a trampoline they've yet to jump on.  JJ told me the other day that he wants to live in St George because it never snows there.  (I wonder where he heard that?!) They were spoiled, for sure. But I'm doing my best to keep them from noticing. "Let's be grateful for what we have," and "watch out for that want monster...he will make you want want want and keep you from being happy" and common phrases and conversations around here. They are such good boys.  Always teaching me and helping me watch out for the want monster inside of me.

Last night we rang in the new year with my family.  The kids make it until midnight...without a fit! They were SO tired after we  clanged and banged on pots and pans when the year turned to 2014.  Grandpa treated us to a movie this afternoon, complete with about four tubs of popcorn.  Aaron held on tight to his, reminding Jonny not to eat it all with every bite he sneaked.  Tonight they went to bed at 6:00, thank heavens.  We all need a lot more sleep.

Jonny returns to work in the morning and I will try to return to a somewhat normal routine--which will be especially hard after such a wonderful week with Jonny by my side.  I love that man. We celebrated our 8th anniversary on the 29th and in all honesty I feel more peace and love in my marriage than ever.  Maybe I'm just getting old and becoming less up tight.  Or maybe I'm just falling deeper in love with Him as time goes on.  Probably the later. Jonny works so hard, and he does it all for us. We have our disagreements, for sure, but I never doubt his heart. I am a lucky lady.

And so I bid farewell to 2013. The year ahead awaits, with many adventures in store: IronMOM, bike races for Jonny, PGY3, first grade for AA!!!, preschool for JJ, and possibly a walking toddler!; family fun nights, reading goals, and family music videos galore.  Did I mention that I've made four music vids in the past week? I'm a little excited about my new DVD burning capabilities on our new computer.  Thank heavens Jonny dropped the old one.  It was time, and these little faces grow older overnight. I am excited to catch more footage of them through 2014. Bring it on.

No comments: