His weight serendipitously matched his birthday: 8.15 on 8/15. In fact, everything about his arrival feels like a sweet surprise or unsolicited blessing.
We were scheduled to begin induction on the evening of August 14th, which turned out to be a pretty popular day for women in Salt Lake City to go into labor. So, in spite of all our preparations, anxiety and anticipation...we couldn't be admitted at our scheduled time. (I have a pretty strong, stubborn cervix--she just doesn't know when to let go--hence the inductions and large babies). We called in every other hour most of the night to see if there was room, and finally at 8am they told us to come on down. The only upside to waiting so long were that Aaron was able to make his appointment at Primary Children's Hospital (oh yeah...and I had time to do my hair). So, I dropped Jonny and Aaron off at PCH, then drove myself on up to the labor and delivery department at the University of Utah Hospital.
The awesome staff got me started on Pitocin right away and about 45 minutes into the drug, my water broke. It was awesome. Jonny and Aaron stopped in to give me a hug before Aaron joined Nana back at the house. Aaron took one look at my IV and said, "I'm really lucky I'm a boy...I don't have to do that." I laughed, hugged him and told him I would do this again and again if it means having sweet boys like him. Jonny took Aaron home, then came back to me. It means so much to have him by my side. He calms my nerves, makes me laugh and--with a lot of persuasion--even dances with me for the family music video. "It's always a good time" with my man.
But don't be decieved. Most of the delivery looked and felt like this. Contractions really got going and I had an epidural when I reached a three. And then the anxiety kicked in. An hour later I was still a three and the baby was showing signs of stress. They rotated me to the side, hoping that a little more oxygen flow would help his heart rate dips. I closed my eyes and just prayed that I would progress quickly. Forty five minutes later the nurse rotated me to the other side. Worried tears flowed freely as she checked me. And then she announced that I was at a nine and "no wonder baby is a little stressed." He was on his way.
Jonny started pacing. I started breathing deeply as the urge to push grew. We talked. I don't remember what exactly we talked about. But talking to Jonny through the next half hour calmed me. I do love that man.
Soon enough, Dr. Vanhorn came in and we were ready to push. Jonny cheered me through four sets of pushing and soon we could see his head emerge. His hair looked blonde--or was it red? Strawberry perhaps? We pushed again: the final round. Dr. Vanhorn did a wonderful job easing us through the last set and there he was. A rush of relief and emotion flooded my body. I shook as the nurse placed his long body, coated in white, across my chest. Jonny leaned across me and we stared into this new little boy's eyes. David stared right back.
He let out a few high pitched screams--a sweet siren that has become somewhat of a trademark for him. He looked so good they let him stay with me for a good 20 minutes before they did his measurements and vital signs. Everything was so peaceful, so calm. Jonny put on his first diaper and checked his heart. I loved watching his proud face admire our new little son. The whole delivery couldn't have been smoother.
And I am left in awe, my mind overflowing with gratitude as I stare at this beautiful boy.
Unique spiritual moments have come with the births of each of my children. They bring a bit of heaven down with them, and for a little space in time I can see things more clearly--as if it were for the first time.I spent David's first night snuggling him, feeding him and admiring my wide-eyed boy. With him I could see our family. I could see our boys together. My heart was filled with their faces, and a vision of gratitude I can't really describe. It was a gift. I'm sure it will sustain me through the months of change to come. Welcome David Tracy. We feel so blessed to have you in our home.
3 comments:
What a beautiful birth story, he looks just like his brothers! Congrats!
Loved this!! I teared up. I forget how much a new one can bring a little piece of heaven with them! Thanks for the post!
What a wonderful story! Births are just sooo special!
Post a Comment