I feel like
I’m living somewhere in between this month: between then and now, today and
tomorrow, this month and six months from now.
This feeling of between comes down to a few things: working (endlessly)
on my family year book from last year (I’m determined to get it done by the end
of the month and need to start taking it seriously) and (endlessly) scanning
utahrealestate.com for the perfect little home for our family. Reflecting on the past and preparing for the
future is a good way to spend a lot of my time, but it can also be a bit
draining as the present feels a bit awash amidst it all. Nevertheless, 2013 carries on, and we’ve made
a lot of great memories already.
Beginning
with: locking a very naughty Aaron outside in his birthday suite after
disobeying me in the bath tub. It’s not
very warm outside…probably low 40s, so it was uncomfortable enough for him to
quickly say sorry for hitting me (half heartedly) after I reprimanded him for
elbowing JJ out of the tub and told him to get out. He chose not to obey—instead splashed the
floor and me all over—which earned him a flick on the face, which resulted in
Aaron hitting me (though he didn’t really put his force into it) on my cheek,
which ended in him outside the glass sliding door, cold, nude and
apologetic. By the end, we were both
giggling at the absurdity of the situation.
I don’t’ like when things escalate
with him, and I try to avoid it at all costs; however, lately he’s been putting
on a new “big boy” obstinate demeanor whenever he’s dissatisfied with a bad
consequence…and there we go again. How
should I handle this? More odd
innovative consequences like putting him out in the cold? Or just more
patience. Both, I’m sure. I hope I’m not ruining him. He sure is a good boy and is really excelling
in so many ways. He is doing so well in
school—reading more and more all of the time and improving in his writing
skills. When asked at basketball
practice what his favorite thing to do in school was, his answer was,
“Science!” Jonny and I smiled surprised, and satisfied at each other. Aaron’s violin is also coming along beautifully. He never ceases to amaze me with his
ability. It’s pretty neat to hear him
play tunes, correct himself and wonder how his brain is hearing it all. His cochlears are awesome. He is awesome. Being first born is a challenge to both of
us, but I am so lucky he is mine. I hope
that luck goes both ways.
JJ is so cute. I got the family robes for Christmas and JJ
and I are the only ones who really wear them.
He will wake up in the middle of the night and request his robe. They are so cozy. His robe has a pirate skeleton on it and he
looks like a cute little matey. He is my
mate. We are together all day. He is patient with me, reads me books, puts
together puzzles and rides his tricycle every chance he can get. JJ is so good at peddling his tricycle. We’ve had a couple beautiful sunny days in a
row this week and both days I loaded the kids bikes up into the car and headed
for the park. Aaron zoomed around the
sidewalks and JJ peddled right behind him.
He is such a happy boy. He loves
to talk about trains, and sometimes teases his brother about which trains
belong to him and which belong to Aaron.
We are a fan of sharing and use the timer to help us keep the peace
during play time. JJ loves his daddy and
has a jolly little dance he does every time Jonny comes home. JJ pushes up onto his tip toes and jumps from
one foot to the other, then runs for Jonny with his arms open wide. It makes them both so happy.
I am now 10 weeks along with baby
#3. It is crazy to me that I will have
another little one by August. That is
not very far away. It was a leap of
faith for me to muster the courage and confidence in my mothering abilities and
go ahead with adding another sweet baby.
I love my kids—so much that I worry about my ability to be up to the
task. But, if God has taught me
anything, it’s that with Him I can do anything.
And, clearly, He and this little baby were anxious for me to have
another one. After the first month of trying, we
were successful (a first...this baby is probably an eager little spirit). I am so
excited. It’s mine and Jonny’s secret
still…and Amber’s in on it too. I
couldn’t hold it back, since our babies will only be a few months apart. And, I’m willing to bet that these cousins
are super excited to be close in age.
Jonny is super excited that JJ and this baby will only be 2 years apart
in school. I am too. We have so many reasons to be grateful.
One of the reasons I was worried
about having another baby is all of the unknowns in our near future: where we
will live is at the top of the list.
However, God is taking care of us again in that matter. You know, when I take a leap of faith, He
always blesses me with some unexpected goodness in my life that brings me
reassurance that He is aware of my family and the desires we have to raise our
family in righteousness. The choices I
make in life let him know that I trust Him, even when things are unsure, and He
shows me every time I depend on Him that He is taking care of us. We found a beautiful home in the best
neighborhood possible in SLC. It’s in
the perfect location, and is such a cute little home. We are in the process of doing all of the
paperwork for the sell, hoping it will all work out still. It’s a foreclosed home, and bank owned
properties are always a lot less predictable, so we are hoping it all sorts
out. We will see. But, regardless, God
is showing me that He will pave the way for us, as long as I have faith.
We’re been on a few fun family
adventures this year already: chimney rock climb on the first Saturday of the
year; swimming with the boys (Aaron LOVES to swim, though he has to go at his
own pace); zoo lights and an incredible four story ropes course adventure with Aaron to boot (it was awesome); a windy canoe ride to the park with a rescue return home from dada; and a new beginning at the SC cochlear implant classroom--we go one day a week for a play period/ AVT therapy. It's good for Aaron. He's becoming more aware of how to positively handle differences and challenging environments for listening. It's good for me--so humbling to witness the blessings of his ability. All in all, it is good in the long run to keep records on him and to stay one step ahead of the game. We also started little league basketball this year--Jonny loves this stuff...and dreams of coaching one day. But for now, we are happy cheering him to the right side of the court from the side lines. Jonny likes to repeat the story of how Aaron said to him (matter of factly), "Dad, some boys have Nikes. They're cool, and they run fast. I don't have Nikes, and that's OK, but some boys have Nikes." Since then, we've scouted out a few good thrifted pairs that make Aaron fly down the court.
We have a good family. It is a good life. Even if my mind is wandering somewhere in between. Good night Yall.
No comments:
Post a Comment