The All-Off Switch
Our apartment came equip with a little device I like to call the "all off switch." It's a red light switch right beside our front door that, when switched, has the power to turn off all the lights in our apartment. This is useful when you've just thrown multiple bags, a coat and a child over your shoulder on your way out of the apartment and you realize, "Oh yes, I need to do my part to save the environment and our electric bill--switch!" And all of the lights magically turn off. My dad would have loved to have such power in the tip of his finger.
Aside from this useful function, most of the time I despise this device. Aaron is a tall kiddo and has been able to reach light switches for some time now. So, when I'm in the bathroom or doing laundry or cooking something in our kitchen (all windowless rooms) he thoroughly enjoys flipping the all-off switch into the off position. And, my pleading with him to turn it back on (especially if I'm in a precarious situation) only encourages his empowered, "keeper of the light" calling. But tonight, I usurped his authority.
As we all know, Aaron isn't one to just lie in bed. After taking the advice many of you gave me, I've resorted to locking him in his room. It hasn't been too painful. But, no matter how much time I spend helping him wind down for bed (pajamas, scriptures, books, songs, cochlears off, snuggle, close door) he always gets out of bed and fuddles in his room, or at least plays in his window sill for a very long time thereafter. Tonight (as I knew he soon would) he realized that he could turn on his light while he played himself to sleep. I was momentarily frustrated until the little red light switch caught my eye. Ka-CHOW. Lights out, Aaron. I didn't even have to untie the rope that keeps his door closed. I love my little all-off switch.
10 comments:
You're a genius!
Wow! That IS magic. I wish I had one of those too! What a cutie Aaron is.
Ty is obsessed with that little switch as well. Anytime we leave the apt he says "NOW can I turn the magic orange light." Yes, Ty...turn the switch.
too funny. i look out our window momentarily after it gets dark...i haven't caught a glimpse of the boy yet! every time i look though i hope i'll catch him.
ha ha, that's really funny! What a great button to have in your situation!
That is so AWESOME! I love that it lights up to show you that his light is on.
Ka Chow! Love it!
Now THAT is awesome :D
~C
ka chow. take the power back. nice.
That is so funny! Your family is so much fun.
Post a Comment