The Cutest Little Ears
Hello Everyone. Many of our blog's visitors already know that Aaron was diagnosed with severe to profound hearing loss a little over a week ago. When he was born he didn't pass the newborn screening tests they conduct in the hospital on every baby. We returned week after week to repeat the tests and soon it was apparent that the reason for his failure wasn't fluid or any other obstruction in his ears. We took him to Primary Children's Hospital last week and did an Auditory Brain Stem Response (ABR) test and discovered that he can hear lower frequencies in the 80 decimal range in his left ear (about the volume of a vacuum cleaner when you are up next to it) and has profound hearing loss in his right ear. Severe to profound hearing loss is legally classified as deaf.
Learning that Aaron has profound hearing loss was a lot like coming home from the hospital all over again. I remember both hour long drives home from Salt Lake so clearly. I felt so helpless, yet so hopeful; overwhelmed by my own ignorance and overjoyed by the precious little life entrusted to me; surprised by flashes of unexpected tears followed by floods of laughter. You see, after the audiologist finished Aaron's tests and told us the degree of his hearing loss Aaron suddenly woke up and filled his diaper past its brim. It was such a big mess, and of course I neglected to bring him a change of clothes. It was a mistake I won't make again, but I'm glad that I made it that day. We stripped him down, cleaned him up and created make-shift clothing for him out of his fuzzy green blanket (yes, I did have an extra diaper). Every time we looked at him we laughed. He looked like a little cucumber. He brought a lot of comic relief to the moment and reminded us that he's one amazing kid to manage a mess like that at such a conspicuous moment in time.
Learning that Aaron has profound hearing loss was a lot like coming home from the hospital all over again. I remember both hour long drives home from Salt Lake so clearly. I felt so helpless, yet so hopeful; overwhelmed by my own ignorance and overjoyed by the precious little life entrusted to me; surprised by flashes of unexpected tears followed by floods of laughter. You see, after the audiologist finished Aaron's tests and told us the degree of his hearing loss Aaron suddenly woke up and filled his diaper past its brim. It was such a big mess, and of course I neglected to bring him a change of clothes. It was a mistake I won't make again, but I'm glad that I made it that day. We stripped him down, cleaned him up and created make-shift clothing for him out of his fuzzy green blanket (yes, I did have an extra diaper). Every time we looked at him we laughed. He looked like a little cucumber. He brought a lot of comic relief to the moment and reminded us that he's one amazing kid to manage a mess like that at such a conspicuous moment in time.
We have been digesting all sorts of information lately about early intervention for children with hearing loss. There are so many wonderful resources and technologies available to help us help Aaron develop his auditory language skills.
My good friend Whitnee took these beautiful shots about a month ago. I just love them and thought you would too. What a sweet kiddo.


24 comments:
Dear Jonny and Melinda:
Aaron is a beautiful baby. Thank you for sharing him with us through your pictures.
We know you will provide him with every possible opportunity as he grows and develops. We love you!!
Last comment from Aunt Shauna
Sweet little Aaron... we love him.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and emotions with us, Mel. You are a special mom, and you are allowing us to learn and feel with you.
I love these pictures. Whitnee captured some fun things... especially of mom and baby.
Those really are cute little ear molds. Keep us updated with the developments and things you learn.
Mel,
You are such a great example to everyone! So positive during a time that could be very difficult. We're still praying for you. Keep us updated.
He is a cute little boy. He already looks so much older than at the blessing! I especially like the picture of him wearing the 'little bruiser' bib. Did Dad make that for him?
Mel- I cry and laugh reading your post's. Thanks for the update. Aaron is so sweet and I can't help but fall in love with him reading your posts and seeing his pictures. You are such a great inspiration to everyone. Thanks for your strengthn and example!!!
Mel you are so sweet. I am so glad that Aaron gets to have you and Jonny as parents because you both are so amazing and strong. He is so blessed to have you both as parents. I was really touched by your post and Aaron just looks like a little angel.
i want a little bruiser bib!!!!!!!
bruiser is sweet kid. i loved the cucumber look. not that it's a consolation mel, but i have been caught in a bad spot more than once when i've taken the kids on my own without a diaper...
i guess i just don't learn.
He IS a beautiful baby. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences. You have a great way with words, and you are a great example. I loved seeing the Little Bruiser bib!
Wow Jonny and Mel I don't know what to say...you are both amazing. I truly believe Heavenly Father has a plan for all of us and sometimes in the middle of trials its hard to know what it is. However it seems like you are totally doing the right thing with the right attitude. Which is no surprise to me you are both amazing people. Being a mom it is hard when your kids go through anything because all you want to do is fix it for them or you wish it was you and not them.
I love you both and thanks for sharing. I had not heard any of this. We will keep you in our prayers. Good luck! Keep us posted!
Love,
Jared and Katie
Mel,
Aaron has the most amaizing parents in the world! You both have so much strength and are so inspiring. Being new parents comes with so many emotions and I am sure you are going through so much right now. You will all be included in our prayers!
Aaron is such a beautiful baby and I love the pictures Whitnee took. The one of the two of you is priceless.
A bunch of us are getting together for dinner and we would love it if you could come. Give me your email address and I will email you with the details!
Keep us updated on that precious baby of yours!
Everyone, thank you so much for your encouraging comments. We are so glad to have such close family and friends to support us through everything. Aaron is lucky to have you all in his life as well. :)
Steven-I'm sure little Bruiser would love to let you borrow his bib any time.
Mel and Jonny hey I found you guys through everyone's blog! Your babe is so cute. It's weird how a lot of us had babies at the same time. I'm sorry to hear that about Aaron when your a new mom so many things can be over whelming. If you need anything, I don't know if I can help but my nephew Jack has a hearing loss also.(Ryan's son) He finally got his cocular implant in February and he is in early intervention! They are such special little ones you can tell there is a peace about them!!!
Stacey
Beautiful pictures of a beautiful mommy and baby. We're praying for you guys!
Hey,
This is an old friend of Jon...glory back when we played in Orchestra with Mrs. Dunford... Any how, if it comes to it, Signing Time is an amazing resource. I had friends who were deaf so took ASL in high school and some in college and my hubby is currently taking a course as well, because we have been teaching our now 2.5 year old sign and it didn't really start clicking for her until we got the signing time videos ( we also have the baby einstein one ) Just a helpful hint to pass along :) Even if early intervention helps, sometimes the aid of sign language gets you the distance :)
~Clerissa Lewis ( formerly Richter, if that helps ring a bell )
Hey Melinda, Yeah, we're hoping to get together for a big event too if things keep going the way they are. It's so crazy for me to think about that they are getting married. I wanted to say how amazed I am at you guys being such good parents and looking at the positives with Aaron having hearing problems. Trials come to the best of people like you guys. That would have been really hard for me. Anyway, these are adorable pictures of Aaron.
I'm sure it was hard to get bad news about aaron's hearing. You have such a positive attitude though, and like you said, there are so many technological advances these days. It's good you learned about it so soon. Good luck, i'll keep you guys in my prayers.
Aaron is such a cute little guy! He reminds me of my Mosey when he was a baby.
You both have the best possible attitude when facing this challenge. Aaron will do fine and will have a happy and fulfilling life. He will be able to accomplish anything he wishes, because he will have the parents who will help him along the way. And he couldn't be more loved by everyone in his life. :-)
Keep sharing pictures, I just can't get enough of that cute little face!
I am excited about the hearing aids. I want him to hear my laugh. I like life and that is one way I express it. He makes me smile regardless.
Hey Melinda! I saw your blog on Elise Andelins blog so I had to check out your adorable baby and he is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO handsome!!!! Last time I saw you was at Elise's shower and you were like 6 months pregnant and as skinny as a supermodel. Jealousy! But your baby is SOOOOOOOO adorable! Congrats!
Jonny and Mel:
I throughly enjoyed reading your blog tonight. I'm so sorry to hear about little Aaron's hearing. You know? My own mother had hearing troubles when she was a kid in Scotland. She eventually lost her hearing completely in her right ear. Her left ear had lots of troubles too. When she received her patriarch blessing, she was told she would have full hearing. And today--she can hear EVERYTHING and very well.
The last doctor to operate on her was Sister Bonnie D. Parkin's husband (former General Relief Society President). My mother has never had a surgery since and that was over 20 years ago.
So have faith--my Mom did.
Love you both!
Stewy
Melinda and Jon,
I'm not sure if you remember me from HS but it's Jennifer (sargent) campbell, I married Stewy Campbell's older brother Ray. Stew was telling me about your little boy and my heart is full for you. I just wanted to let you know your little guy has been in our prayers and we hope for the best for you. I also wanted to tell you, if your interested that there is a show on TV called Signing Time. The lady who does the show is really good and she sings songs and stuff and it really helps you learn sign language, the basics anyways. I have taught all 3 of my kids and I just want you to know my prayers will be with you guys.
Jen
I wanted to give you a web site you can check out.
www.signingtimekids.org
Hope this helps.
Jen Campbell
Post a Comment